trailer fiasco

/ trailer fiasco #1  

gregfender

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501 HST
This weekend, the school where I teach is having a workday to clean up and refurbish our nature trail. It's a beautiful trail that wanders through the woods and crosses a pond on campus. We have a wonderful science teacher who received a $5000 grant to clean up, replace signs, repair two bridges and put web-linked markers identifying various plant and wildlife features to which integrate with our schools commitment to technology.

(by now you are asking what the h*** does this have to do with either a trailer, or a fiasco)

Being one who loves to do things for my school and teaching my students the importance of community service, I volunteered to bring the tractor down to move brush, skid logs, and grade parts of the trail that eroded. I borrow a friends trailer (an older trailer) and proceed to load everything up last night so I won't have to wake at 5:00 on Saturday to load the thing up. After shoe-horning the JD 1070 on, including the box blade and landscape rake, I start to pull out to park it when BANG!...the load popped one of the tires...

Apparently, 10 year old, cracked tires shouldn't be trusted...:ashamed:

Now I am scrambling to find a trailer before Sat. morning...

so....any of you wonderful folks live near McDowell County, NC and wanna help a fellow out? :thumbsup:

<End of Ramble> Have a great evening!

/ trailer fiasco #2  
As the old addage goes, "No good deep goes unpunished".

Hope ya find someone close that can help.

Try a local auto wrecker service (w/rollback) or equipment dealer to see if they'll pitch in and help.

/ trailer fiasco #3  
Wouldn't it be easier to just have a sey of tires put on? They dont have to be new, try the local tire shops. we just picked up a matching set and they mounted them for $15.

/ trailer fiasco #4  
I would send one to you, but it would take a week, and cost big bucks. A used tire store, might be a good answer, but the owner of the trailer, should pick up part of the cost. Watch out, that if one tire blew, the others are close behind.

/ trailer fiasco #5  
You are lucky that the tire failed before you were on the road going 65mph.

/ trailer fiasco
No worries. One of our local school board members owns a dairy farm and has graciously loaned his 3/4 ton and lowboy to help move the tractor back and forth this weekend. Problem solved, all's right with the world...

Thanks!

/ trailer fiasco #7  
I've found it's $5 more to buy a wheel&tire assembly than to to have a tire mounted on one of my wheels for my trailer - and MUCH faster. The local RV place stocked the wheel/tire assembly; the unmounted tire was a 10-day backorder.

/ trailer fiasco #8  
I've found it's $5 more to buy a wheel&tire assembly than to to have a tire mounted on one of my wheels for my trailer - and MUCH faster. The local RV place stocked the wheel/tire assembly; the unmounted tire was a 10-day backorder.

That's funny! I wonder how many unmounted tires they do order?

/ trailer fiasco #9  
Well, I sure didn't order one! :)

/ trailer fiasco #10  
Just curious, but could you not just drive your tractor to the site, or is it dozens of miles away?

Here in Ontario a farmer may drive his tractor to wherever he needs it via public roads and I see people driving lawn tractors in my subdivision to do work for neighbours.