Question about walk behind trenchers

/ Question about walk behind trenchers #1  

grsthegreat

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE hst cab
Ive run alot of walk behind trenchers, but always on fairly smooth ground. I have a project coming up that requires a 200' long trench , 18" deep along a 30% incline hill. Has anyone here ever run a ditch witch style machine parallel to a steep incline like this? I'm afraid it will always try to either tip over or try to head downhill.

I'm not sure if i even want to do this job. Also, its all landscaped out so excavator or hoe is not an option.

Thanks for advice in advance

/ Question about walk behind trenchers #2  
Around here when a job like yours needs to be done, it seems like the contractors usually use a tracked walk behind. I would think that they would be way better than the wheeled versions.

Why do they call them walk behind trenchers when you actually walk in front of them? :confused2: ;)

/ Question about walk behind trenchers #3  
Ive run alot of walk behind trenchers, but always on fairly smooth ground. I have a project coming up that requires a 200' long trench , 18" deep along a 30% incline hill. Has anyone here ever run a ditch witch style machine parallel to a steep incline like this? I'm afraid it will always try to either tip over or try to head downhill.

I'm not sure if i even want to do this job. Also, its all landscaped out so excavator or hoe is not an option.

Thanks for advice in advance

I doubt if it will tip over but it will be hard to trench a straight line.

Another thing to watch for is cave-ins. The side of the trench will also be 30 degrees. But at 18 inches deep it probably won't be a big consern.

/ Question about walk behind trenchers #4  
I've never done it myself but I have been okay throughout walks and it seems like you know what you're doing so you should be alright...if you choose to do the job.

/ Question about walk behind trenchers #5  
A walk behind track machine will do much better and faster. I have always had trouble keeping a wheel driven trencher going in a straight line, tend to drive with one wheel when going gets tough.