4" Stump Removal

/ 4" Stump Removal #11  
Re: 4\" Stump Removal

Well.... he did say he had lots of time and was cheap...... but you are right 50 stumps should mean its dozer time....

/ 4" Stump Removal

I can rent a stump grinder for $150 for the weekend. Think I'll wait for a 3 day weekend when the rental place is closed on a Monday and and get it for three days.....

What I am doing is selectivally clearing 10 arcres. I do not want all the trees gone and since I am in a possible wetlands, I was told that I can not use a dozer (I can not change the nature drainage without permits).

My goal is to let enough sunlight through to get grass growing. There are some huge live oaks (which made a whole buch of little live oaks) that I want to save as well as keep some of the smaller ones to keep the area wooded as trees die, get hit by lightning, etc.

I'm renting a chipper to get rid of all the ones I cut then I buy a landscape rake to clear up the many inches of leaves.... I'll add one step in the process... a stump grinder, btw, the most boring peice of equipment to operate.

R /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ 4" Stump Removal #13  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The guy is charging $40 ea for the 24 inchers and $20 ea for the 6-8 inchers.
)</font>

For that price you could go buy a small poulan or homelight chainsaw with an 18 inch bar.... do a couple minutes of hand digging.. cut em off well below the ground. ( chain and bar will receive wear from soil.. but heck.. the saw will still be very servicable.. and it is cheaper than the stump grind. )

We used to have a beater chain saw at work for just this reason... bar was beat but only had to work 3 minutes here and there..

Soundguy

/ 4" Stump Removal #14  

Yeah that sounds pretty good. Buy the cheap chainsaw along with a couple of extra blades and a new bar. When your done just through the new bar on and have the chains sharpened and you all set for another project. You really only have to get them at ground level. Through some table salt on them while still wet and you should be all set. Should be gone in a year.

murph

/ 4" Stump Removal #15  

might have been better off leaving a little more of the stump. and u might be a bit undersized with the tractor. but good luck and do it safe.

/ 4" Stump Removal #16  

My comments probably don't help much in this case, but many times others read these threads & might be helped, esp those new to tractors. So:

You either need a bigger tractor (I would pull these with a good chain, 2 wraps around the stump, & the 135hp tractor I have) or you need much longer stumps. And with a light 2-wheel drive tractor, you still might be chopping a lot of roots from the back side to pull them out. And, do not hook onto any point higher than the drawbar. I know that top link is inviting, and will give more traction, but the geomotry is really bad on that - it will flip the tractor right over backwards on top of you much, much quicker than you realize!

I don't see where the back blade will be of much help. On some species of tree a ripper or chisel point will rip out some shallow roots & help a lot, but oaks have a pretty good, deep, tap root.

If you ever pull on a tall tree, look up, and get a LONG chain or cable. And be aware of what happens when a cable snaps.

My granduncle was pulling a little rotten branch off of a mature tree. When he pulled with the short chain, the whole tree fell over as it was also rotten (not visable) and knocked him off the tractor - threw him under the wheel. This was in the days of steel wheels.

--->Paul

/ 4" Stump Removal #17  

<font color="blue"> He has fifty of them trees. That would take a long time to remove everyone of them. Get a bulldozer and enjoy life. </font>

Wait a minute, Murph!

Using one's tractor to push and pull fifty or more stumps...is enjoying life!

/ 4" Stump Removal #18  

Bill,

Did you look at the size of his tractor. He would be doing a lot of pushing and tugging just so he could get down to the roots and have to axe or saw them off. The way I figure it he would have a couple of hours on each one. I love my tractor to make things easier for me but that looks like a lot of work.

I tell you what, how about you and me getting a couple of beers or should I say a couple of cases and a couple of lawn chairs and watch.

murph

/ 4" Stump Removal #19  

If that's the case...well, the smaller the tractor the better I guess!

Wonder if our friend lives somewhere between us?

I assume you were offering an invitation to join you watching him do the work? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I do have trouble relating to tractor size if they are a different color than I am used too... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ 4" Stump Removal #20  

Bill,

I don't know what size his tractor is. All I know is someone called it a "wonderful little machine"??? So if one likes to drink beer, I guess the smaller the better. I just don't know how he would take to you and me telling him how to remove his stumps? The good thing would be if we could talk him into waiting until next winter, he does live in Florida. I could use a few beers in Florida next winter.

murph