Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    MF 1428

Default 4" Stump Removal

I have cut about 50 trees, all 3-5", most are in the 4" range. I've cut the all about 6-8" above gound so I can see them and attact them.

I have a L245, no FEL, but do have a box blade. Any suggustions on the proper way of removing the stumps with the equipment I have. BTW, I'm cheap and have time to do this. Really don't want to spend the money to rent a bobcat.

Thanks,
    Roger

Tractor
    NH TC35D/SUPER H&M/F-20/JD B&D/FORDSON/JD250 SSL

Default Re: 4" Stump Removal

A shovel and axe to cut bigger roots then try to pull out w/ tractor.
    If they were standing u might have been able to push over w/ tractor and box blade.
    Since u only have 2wd u will be limited on pulling power.
    U might try putting one or two shanks down and using box blade to tear thru roots.
    A cheap single shank ripper might be helpful.

Tractor
    Kubota L3130 GST

I spent over 20 years with a L245, wonderful little machine. I do believe that you are over your head trying to remove that size stump with that machine. If you find a way, I'd like to know.

Good luck
    Gil

Gold Member
    Tractor
    DK35

Find a 3pt single bottom land plow. bcs

Tractor
    Kubota B7500/LA302FEL/4672BH ; John Deere LX277

If you can dig underneath one to the roots, you might be able to double wrap a chain around the whole stump and the root and pull it out.

Greg

I've removed my share of stumps of the 4 inch size. It can be done but it requires a lot of labor. A small tractor is not a much help. You will end up digging a lot; and choping roots. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

If it were me, I would hire someone with a backhoe or a stump grinder. I am having 6 stumps ground this week. The guy is charging $40 ea for the 24 inchers and $20 ea for the 6-8 inchers.

John

Tractor
    New Holland TC29D, 2001

I think a guy with a bulldozer would take them all out pretty fast. That is what I used and the guy only charged my $165.00. He remove over 100 trees. Now the reason he was pretty cheap was because he already had his bulldozer on my property doing other things.

murph

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    5300 JD 4X4

Do your 245 a favor and rent a dozer for a day. You will have them out in no time. That or a backhoe, would be easier to make the stumps disappear.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2150HSD

Sorry, this won't help you now, but next time leave about 3 or 4 feet of stump. Then chain to the top and pull or use your box for pushing the top, repeatedly from all sides. This will expose the roots which can then be cut until the stump comes out. It will still take a while but the addditional leverage gained from the longer stump really helps.

Tractor
    New Holland TC29D, 2001

Buzst,

He has fifty of them trees. That would take a long time to remove everyone of them. Get a bulldozer and enjoy life.

murph

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast