mouse deterrant.....winters coming

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #1  

CTMassey

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson 1529
I keep my MF 1529 in a "Cover-it/Shelterlogic" type shed.Since winter is coming, what are everyones thoughts and ideas on keeping mice away from the tractor??..Hate to think about the damage they could cause.......

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #4  
All of my motorized equipment is stored outside under canvas tarps. I use "Tomcat" mouse bait stations, with three kinds of poisons which are rotated periodically. The same goes for the tool shed. After 35 years, no infestations or damages have been noted. Inside the house I use the good old mouse traps, but seldom spring one year after year.

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #5  
I have a few of these in the barn and garage. Fill with non toxic antifreeze in winter if you so choose. Check once a week or so. They keep on working until the bait is gone.
bucket mouse trap - Bing Videos

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #7  
They are called barn cats.
I agree. There are various types of methods that can be used, but cats have hunted vermin for untold ages. Their hunting techniques, utilizing stealth and patience, are a proven eradication method in mouse and rat infestation. Besides they seem to always be hungry, and if they are not hungry, they will continue to kill mice and rats, as if they obtain pleasure from the Act. Works for me, but may not apply in your situation. Best of success and good luck.

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #8  
A couple good cats and moth balls under the hood in case one gets past the cat.

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #9  
Peppermint oil works. A small jar with several cotton balls in it each with four or five drops of oil. You can get it at any health food store. Mice and rats hate it.

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #10  
I find dead mice, moles, shrews and other bits that are unidentified from various creatures attempting to gain access to house and garage. My two barn cats are killers and work better than any trap I ever set