OK to store batwing folded?

/ OK to store batwing folded? #2  
No it wont hurt. When I mow irrigation lanes for my uncle (Deere 6330 and woods 15ft wing mower) we store it in the folded up but have to put a chain and binder on top so it's easier to put hydraulics back on, cause if you don't its a real pain to hook them back up since of pressure.

/ OK to store batwing folded? #3  
We let our renters store one of their Woods bat wing mowers in our barn and it is stored folded; no problems to date. They also store their cultivators and disks folded.

/ OK to store batwing folded? #4  
mine's folded most of it's life.

only time it's un folded it's cutting grass, or just about to or coming from doing same.

I service it before / after mowing with it unfolded of course. otherwise.. it stays folded..

soundguy

/ OK to store batwing folded? #5  
I see lots of them stored that way.

/ OK to store batwing folded? #6  
They are intended to be stored folded up. Most of them have a pin to put in somewhere to take the load off the hydraulics. No the cylinders should not be holding the load while stored. It will eventually find its way down, if you can even get them unhooked from the tractor under pressure.

/ OK to store batwing folded? #7  
Someone's telling me it's bad to store batwing wings upright & folded.
Ture or false?

I sure hope not! I store all 5 I now own, and plan on storing the 2 new ones on the way in a folded position during the winter when not in use. I can't imagine the waste of space it would require to park several of them folded down indoors......

/ OK to store batwing folded? #8  
Builder,
I, too, am of the mindset that they are supposed to be stored (long and short term) in the upright position. I have mine folded now for the year that I am away. After extended periods though, check your fluid levels in the wing gearboxes. There is potential for fluids to leak out around the shafts, especially if the seals are shot. I had to replace the gears on one side of my bushhog. Apparently, I did not put the seals in correctly. When I raise the wing, I can see the fluid dripping out (what we in the military call a Class II leak). You bushhog should have some type locking mechanism to secure the wings in the upright position. My Woods E320 has a bar and chain for locking them upright, taking the pressure of the cylinders, and keep them from settling back down.

Hawk

/ OK to store batwing folded? #9  
PS.. Builder.. whoever told you it was bad to store them folded.. you might want to consider any other advice they are giving you on other topics as 'in question'...

;)

soundguy

/ OK to store batwing folded?
Builder,
I, too, am of the mindset that they are supposed to be stored (long and short term) in the upright position. I have mine folded now for the year that I am away. After extended periods though, check your fluid levels in the wing gearboxes. There is potential for fluids to leak out around the shafts, especially if the seals are shot. I had to replace the gears on one side of my bushhog. Apparently, I did not put the seals in correctly. When I raise the wing, I can see the fluid dripping out (what we in the military call a Class II leak). You bushhog should have some type locking mechanism to secure the wings in the upright position. My Woods E320 has a bar and chain for locking them upright, taking the pressure of the cylinders, and keep them from settling back down.

Hawk

IIRC, that was the basis of their opinion, that fluid would all run to one side and either leak or ruin the seal on the "lower" side.
I thought it seemed ridiculous since the whole reason to make them fold is so they can be transported and stored.
Thanks, Hawk.