Dust from mowing

/ Dust from mowing #1  

lagunagrande

I own a JD 5205 open station. When I'm out shredding the fields the dust the mower creates creates many problems; can't see, can't breathe, and it gets places it shouldn't be... How do y'all cope with the dust when shredding? I usually mow against the wind but in a large field it is not very easy.

/ Dust from mowing #2  
Long sleeves, gloves, crew neck, filter mask & eye protection. Also bandanna under hat to hang down & cover neck/collar junction. I found out (the hard way) poison ivy oils can ride the dust. But not a comfy set up for hot & humid!

Nick

/ Dust from mowing
Ahh so there is no real escape but a cab tractor... Darn! I kick myself for not buying a cab tractor.

Long sleeves, gloves, crew neck, filter mask & eye protection. Also bandanna under hat to hang down & cover neck/collar junction. I found out (the hard way) poison ivy oils can ride the dust. But not a comfy set up for hot & humid!

Nick

/ Dust from mowing #4  
I own a JD 5205 open station. When I'm out shredding the fields the dust the mower creates creates many problems; can't see, can't breathe, and it gets places it shouldn't be... How do y'all cope with the dust when shredding? I usually mow against the wind but in a large field it is not very easy.

Mow real early in the morning when it's damp, if possible.

/ Dust from mowing #5  
Wear a face mask if it gets real bad. Other than that, use compressed air to blow your clothes off BEFORE going in the house. Unless you're single and a slob (because if you're married, you will soon be single!).

Smart advice is to not cut when it's dry as tinder. Early morning like when the dew starts to form (4:30am ish) or couple days after a rain.

/ Dust from mowing
Rain? What is this rain... I live in southern Texas which is in a severe drought :( The morning idea is good but I would need to get rear lights on my tractor.

Wear a face mask if it gets real bad. Other than that, use compressed air to blow your clothes off BEFORE going in the house. Unless you're single and a slob (because if you're married, you will soon be single!).

Smart advice is to not cut when it's dry as tinder. Early morning like when the dew starts to form (4:30am ish) or couple days after a rain.

/ Dust from mowing #7  
As others have said, I were a mask, wrap around sunglasses, earplugs, long-sleeve shirt and hat. I think I'm going to try the bandana as someone mentioned next time I mow. My family calls me "pigpen" when I mow.

How far south are you? Are you along the Lower Laguna Madre?

/ Dust from mowing #8  
Ahh so there is no real escape but a cab tractor... Darn! I kick myself for not buying a cab tractor.

You're dealer will gladly help you trade up. :laughing:

I have nothing else to offer advice wise as the previous posters have pretty much covered it all.

/ Dust from mowing #9  
I try to shred in the late afternoon,the winds tend to abate,sun is lower,its cooler.

/ Dust from mowing #10  
You're dealer will gladly help you trade up. :laughing:

Do you happen to have a list of dealers doing no cost upgrades, cause that's about the limit on my discretionary budget these days. :D