Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Default Dust from mowing

    I own a JD 5205 open station. When I'm out shredding the fields the dust the mower creates creates many problems; can't see, can't breathe, and it gets places it shouldn't be... How do y'all cope with the dust when shredding? I usually mow against the wind but in a large field it is not very easy.

  2. #2
    Gold Member nikdfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    449
    Location
    Person Co. NC
    Tractor
    John Deere 3038E & 1025R FILB

    Default Re: Dust from mowing

    Long sleeves, gloves, crew neck, filter mask & eye protection. Also bandanna under hat to hang down & cover neck/collar junction. I found out (the hard way) poison ivy oils can ride the dust. But not a comfy set up for hot & humid!

    Nick
    2010 John Deere 3038E w/305 FEL
    Frontier RC2060 Rotary Cutter, Frontier BB2060 Box Blade, Jinma 6" Chipper from Ranch Hand Supply, TSC Tarter 5' Rotary Tiller, Middle Buster, ASC Keulavator Hiller/Bedder, Caroni 59" Finish Mower
    2010 Gator CX
    2013 John Deere 1025R FILB w/ Bro-Tek thumb & ripper
    Retired FBOP NRA Life

  3. #3

    Default Re: Dust from mowing

    Ahh so there is no real escape but a cab tractor... Darn! I kick myself for not buying a cab tractor.

    Quote Originally Posted by nikdfish View Post
    Long sleeves, gloves, crew neck, filter mask & eye protection. Also bandanna under hat to hang down & cover neck/collar junction. I found out (the hard way) poison ivy oils can ride the dust. But not a comfy set up for hot & humid!

    Nick

  4. #4
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    354
    Location
    Central Pa
    Tractor
    NH Boomer 1025

    Default Re: Dust from mowing

    Quote Originally Posted by lagunagrande View Post
    I own a JD 5205 open station. When I'm out shredding the fields the dust the mower creates creates many problems; can't see, can't breathe, and it gets places it shouldn't be... How do y'all cope with the dust when shredding? I usually mow against the wind but in a large field it is not very easy.
    Mow real early in the morning when it's damp, if possible.

  5. #5
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    975

    Default Re: Dust from mowing

    Wear a face mask if it gets real bad. Other than that, use compressed air to blow your clothes off BEFORE going in the house. Unless you're single and a slob (because if you're married, you will soon be single!).

    Smart advice is to not cut when it's dry as tinder. Early morning like when the dew starts to form (4:30am ish) or couple days after a rain.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Dust from mowing

    Rain? What is this rain... I live in southern Texas which is in a severe drought The morning idea is good but I would need to get rear lights on my tractor.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ford tractor View Post
    Wear a face mask if it gets real bad. Other than that, use compressed air to blow your clothes off BEFORE going in the house. Unless you're single and a slob (because if you're married, you will soon be single!).

    Smart advice is to not cut when it's dry as tinder. Early morning like when the dew starts to form (4:30am ish) or couple days after a rain.

  7. #7
    Silver Member sldva00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    165
    Location
    Rio Grande Valley, Texas
    Tractor
    JD 2520 CUT

    Default Re: Dust from mowing

    As others have said, I were a mask, wrap around sunglasses, earplugs, long-sleeve shirt and hat. I think I'm going to try the bandana as someone mentioned next time I mow. My family calls me "pigpen" when I mow.

    How far south are you? Are you along the Lower Laguna Madre?
    JD 2520CUT; 62D MMM; 200CX FEL W/61" Bucket; Rhino 148 Cutter; 1800# Forks

  8. #8
    Super Member mjncad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,114
    Location
    In the civilized First World
    Tractor
    A couple

    Default Re: Dust from mowing

    Quote Originally Posted by lagunagrande View Post
    Ahh so there is no real escape but a cab tractor... Darn! I kick myself for not buying a cab tractor.
    You're dealer will gladly help you trade up.

    I have nothing else to offer advice wise as the previous posters have pretty much covered it all.
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.

  9. #9
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    477
    Location
    near Williamsburg ,Virginia
    Tractor
    TC 35 New Holland and 52 Case VAC,LT25 Woodmizer logmill

    Default Re: Dust from mowing

    I try to shred in the late afternoon,the winds tend to abate,sun is lower,its cooler.

  10. #10
    Veteran Member johnrex62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,007
    Location
    Bastrop County, Texas
    Tractor
    Kubota L3700SUHST

    Default Re: Dust from mowing

    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    You're dealer will gladly help you trade up.
    Do you happen to have a list of dealers doing no cost upgrades, cause that's about the limit on my discretionary budget these days.
    Kubota L3700SUHST, AG-Meier Mohawk 5' Rotary Cutter, Armstrong AG 5' Boxblade, Armstrong AG 5' Landscape Rake
    Scotts 50560x8 50" Riding Mower

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Buying Advice Advice on 2320 purchase for mowing and snow removal
    By JJKJ in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 12-20-2009, 09:58 PM
  2. Mowing It's better than a BX for mowing!!!
    By JOHNTHOMAS in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-08-2009, 10:16 AM
  3. Mowing BX2350 Spring steep hillside mowing in Ky
    By JOHNTHOMAS in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-04-2009, 09:07 AM
  4. Mowing Dust from mower
    By BobRip in forum Power Trac
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 10:50 PM
  5. Field Mowing
    By dsb5610 in forum Toolcat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-12-2006, 03:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.