PTO RPM??

/ PTO RPM?? #21  
Bill H,

Your tractor is designed to run at higher RPM's especially if it is diesel. My tractor achieves a 540 RPM's on the back PTO and 1,000 RPM's on the mid PTO at 2600 motor RPM's. Most of your implements are designed accordingly. If you are using your back PTO that PTO should have 540 in order for the implement to operate properly. In your case mowing tall grass you may not notice any difference, but if you were trying to bale, shell corn or something like that you would notice the difference. Using my mid mount finish mower I have to have the full RPM's or I will get constant plugs and the ends of the grass look like crap when done.

But the safest and best performance is always at the given speed. If I was you I would look at a lower gear and get the RPM's up on your diesel. I think many others would concur with me on this.

murph

/ PTO RPM?? #22  
<font color="blue"> But the safest and best performance is always at the given speed. If I was you I would look at a lower gear and get the RPM's up on your diesel. I think many others would concur with me on this. </font>

That is the advice I've always followed. The implements are designed to run at that speed and the motor in the tractor was intended to run at the appropriate speed to maintain that PTO speed. My dealer says so, the manuals all say so, and it just seems to make sense.

Easy for me to say, though. I have HST so controlling my speed is a peice of cake.

/ PTO RPM?? #23  
Cerberus:

The speed the implement is designed to operate at is a product of the gearing in the tractor that determines PTO RPM (usually 540 for a rear PTO) and the gearing in the gearbox on the implement (the other end of the PTO driveshaft). Implements designed to operate at 540 PTO RPM will have a gearbox that gets the proper operation out of the implement at that PTO RPM. Most rear finish mowers have a gearbox matched to a 540 PTO RPM.

I guess there are some specialty implements designed to use a higher RPM rear PTO, but you should make absolutely sure that the implement is designed for the higher RPM before you use it that way. Running an implement slower than it's design speed probably won't hurt the implement (or you). It just may not do the job as well as it should. However, running it faster than the design speed could cause explosive dismantling, which could be fatal to the implement and anyone nearby /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

/ PTO RPM??
Rambler, Thanks for the reply . The Century (and it's twin Branson ) are made in S. Korea by I believe KUKJE .
The Kioti is also made in S. Korea . They all seem to be well designed and put together . What caught my attention on the Century is the C50 loader . It's made in europe and very Beefy . And I promise all you folks that you won't be reading about the Darwin award nominee from western Pa that figured that running a brush hog at 1000 PTO rpm would make mowing go qicker /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif John McCloskey

/ PTO RPM?? #25  
i will strongly 2nd , murphs post! lower the gear and keep the rpms up.

/ PTO RPM?? #26  
I saw some info on the Century's yesterday, my mistake. There _was_ something like very much that name coming out of China (I saw it at a farm show several years ago - ish), but not these. Korea has pretty good stuff from what I read.

I run a lot of sickle mower, cement mixer, baler, and other equip at less than full speed, but I don't run things more than full speed. You kinda get a feel for what works best & how after a while.

--->Paul