PTO RPM??

/ PTO RPM?? #1  

NIXON

Veteran Member
Tractor
L3130 hst
As I understand it , most pto implements a made to be driven @540 rpm (given engine speed) Why do some tractors come with a dual rpm rating ? (540and 1000 ) What sort of implement is run at the higher rating ? Is my newbieness showing /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif John

/ PTO RPM?? #2  
On my tractor the RPM is different depending on which PTO you are using. The rear PTO runs at 540 RPM and the middle PTO runs at the faster speed (never used the middle PTO, but one of these days I'll get a belly finish mower and that runs at the faster speed).

Hey, I show newbie type lack of knowlege all the time. And I've had my tractor for six years now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

/ PTO RPM?? #4  
My ol' Pappy used to say "There's no such thing as a dumb question if you don't know the answer." /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif That's what makes this site so great -- you can ask those questions and get straight answers (most of the time). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris is correct. Most 3-point hitch implements that are PTO powered are designed to operate best at 540 RPM PTO speed, while belly-mount mowers are usually designed to operate best at 1000 RPM.

/ PTO RPM??
Thanks for the response ! So basically , if I'm only intend to run a brush hog (not a finish mower ) a pto that runs at 540 rpm is all I'll need ? the 1000 rpm is for things like rear mounted finish mowers , Right ? Please say YES . This tractor stuff is making me nuts /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I did over 20 years in the AF working on aircraft . So naturally I thought .. "tractors .... they can't all that hard to figure out /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif "
Heck, I'm still trying to figure my best choice for a new tractor . I'm pretty much set on a Kioti Dk 35 . But the Century also gets my attention . It seems the more I research the dumber I get /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif John McCloskey

/ PTO RPM?? #7  
Hi,

When I was shopping last year I asked the kubota guy about the two speed rear PTOs I saw on some model...he said that in Japan or elsewhere they must have some implements that run at higher speed [on the back] than we do.

This is a separate issue from the Mid-PTO, which runs at more than 540 rpm [forget the speed at the moment].

Most, if not all, of the rear mounted implements you will find in this country are designed to run at 540 PTO rpm for rated speed of the implement. At least that is my understanding, but it is a big country! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The PTO will turn at 540 RPM at only one engine speed, since as mentioned in a previous post, there is a gear connection between the engine and the rear PTO output shaft.

In the case of my B2910 this is something like 2,600 engine RPM. In the case of the smaller bx units, it is something like 3,200 RPM. Same thing holds true for other colors.

I think this may have all been said up above...hummm....so why am I saying it again here??? Got me... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ PTO RPM?? #8  
The rear pto standard is 540 rpm... Some tractors have a 2 or 3 speed pto.. for instance my yanmar 1700 has 540.. 760.. and 1040

I've heard the the other settings are for specific items like a yanmar tiller that might need a higher speed, etc.

Thinking about ti too, pto speed will be a product of engine speed and vary as such ( on a geared tractor ).. so if you wanted a lower engine rpm.. but still needed 540 pto.. like for a seeder.. something with low power requirements.. you could set the pto for your second speed.. but run less rpm on the tach.. and ground speed and still make it only 540 on the rear... follow?

Soundguy

/ PTO RPM?? #10  
Rear PTO = 540 rpm (ALL rear attachments)
Mid PTO = 2000 rpm (belly mower, etc)
Rear 1000 rpm = yanmar tillers

run a rear mower at 1000rpm and amazing things can happen /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif