Kubota B2620 vs John Deere 2520

/ Kubota B2620 vs John Deere 2520 #1  

dfeck

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200
I'm looking at both these tractors and gotten prices on both.

Kubota B2620 w/FEL, Turf Tires and 60in mower = $17450
John Deere 2520 w/FEL, Turf Tires and 62in mower = $20487

Both have 0% financing (Deere 48months/Kubota 60months)

I've looked at the specs and both are very similar. On paper, the Deere has better numbers but only slightly. Is the Deere worth the extra 3K versus the Kubota? I've owned both Kubota and Deere before and both have great products. Any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Doug

/ Kubota B2620 vs John Deere 2520 #2  
Yes, the Deere is priced about right. Why? Because of the following:

For what it is worth, Kubota builds both premium B tractors (such as the B2630 and B3030) and standard B tractors, such as the B2620 you are looking at. The Deere, in my opinion, falls inbetween the two. So, it is intentionally hard to compare apples to apples.

This, my friend, is called market positioning. :) I believe the price points for both Kubotas and the Deere are also carefully positioned to reflect this.

/ Kubota B2620 vs John Deere 2520 #3  
Pretty much what bp said. If I had to choose between the two, I would go with the Deere, but in reality I would get a B2630 or B3030 before either.

/ Kubota B2620 vs John Deere 2520 #4  
Personally (and I am biased) I dont feel that the specs are that "similar" - the engine, 3-point and PTO differences are deal breakers in my book... OTOH I would like a 3 speed transmission.

Deere has more cubic inches, running at a lower RPM; position control vs 1/4 inching valve; independent PTO vs live PTO; longer wheelbase; it lifts more at the 3-point; has more hydraulic flow and weighs more.

Kubota has 3 speed trans vs 2 speed trans and a much lower price - at least up there where you are at, pricing is better here in the midwest, although the Kubota pricing may be better here as well.

/ Kubota B2620 vs John Deere 2520 #5  
If you are considering more than occasional use of the 3PH then I would recommend that you get position control. The 2620 does not have this, but the 2630 does. I have read a lot of post from veteran first time buyers that have said if they could do it again they would get position control. I picked up on this before I pulled the trigger and I am really glad that did research.

Here is just one thread on the topic. There are plenty more.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/165045-1-4-inch-vs-position.html

Take a look at the brakes, JD differential brakes are on left so you can use them while moving, Kubota has placed them on the right where they are very difficult (impossible in my mind) to use in conjunction with the hydro pedals. You can lock one rear wheel and turn on a dime, or use one brake to keep straight when plowing.

The Kubota does have a 3 speed tranny, which is very nice and is really the only shortcoming that my JD2520 has.

On other thing, the standard alternator on the 2620 is 20 amps, upgrade to the 40 amp if you want to put on extra lighting. This is standard on the JD2520.

These things are not immediately obvious when driving around the parking lot, put make a world of difference the first time you try to do work around yard.

/ Kubota B2620 vs John Deere 2520 #6  
On other thing, JD seems quite conservative with their ratings, the 200CX is rated at 800 lbs at the pivots, I have personally lifted almost 1100 lbs of concrete which is centered about 12" past the pivots.

/ Kubota B2620 vs John Deere 2520 #7  
I looked at a similar comparison but I was looking at the 2920 and the 2520,,, the JD had that $$2500 program earlier in the summer, the 10 GPM is what I noticed and was nice, the Deere was heavier, but overall The tractors are largely similar,

I ended up with the Kubota , 60 mos free financing, and Kubota is the only company that makes almost all of the parts on all their equipment. JD outsources much more. That and if you look in the used tractor section , you really have to look for a Kubota, people tend to keep them, and there's a reason for that.

I am not against Deere, my first CUT was a 4100, good tractor, a little underpowered, but held it's resale value, and I regret selling it. If Deere hadn't made that rebate program so complicated with the 2 nd implement having to be of certain make and value, I would've bought it,,,I think the tractor FEL and MM was 17500$ and the Kubota was $16800 without a deck, but I found it late and it expired in a day or so

I do not regret buying my 2920, it has performed way beyond my expectations

/ Kubota B2620 vs John Deere 2520 #8  
To give some perspective on the 3pt hitch system used on the Kubota B2x20 series, it is called a quarter inch valve. It works very smoothly and will raise and lower the implements just fine. The problem is it will not hold them at a specified height for a prolonged time. Mine will drop about 3/4" in 10 minutes. This causes me no issues when using the box blade, rear blade or even sprayer. It is only an issue for me when I mow with the brush hog. I have to remember to bump it back up every lap or the front is dragging the ground. I actually use chains to keep it at the height I want.
The 2630 and 3030 are the only B series Kubotas which have position control. There has been some talk that the 2630 may be being discontinued, but it is a very nice tractor although personally I like the suspended mower used on the B2x20 tractors vs the ground following mower decks used on the Bxx30 tractors.

/ Kubota B2620 vs John Deere 2520 #9  
The JD 2520 is a larger tractor in weight, and size, but not by a lot. Ergonimacly I find the Kubota surprisingly better for me. I like the 4wd lever instad of that foot / hand lever the JD has, the construction of the 3pt hitch although not the control, the 3 speed transmission (a lot!), and the operator's room, and ease of getting on, and off which are important to me. Although I am quite happy with the "1/4 inching" on the Kubota niow that I have it adjusted, position control is always a better choice. I like the QA on the loader bucket on the JD better, and there is just no comparison with the location / function of the split brakes. The JD is great in that regard, and the Kubota is not. What would I buy with that money today? Like TripleR I would buy a Kubota B2630/ B3030. For a bit less money, and to get equal weights, etc. I probably would buy the Kubota 3200 / B3300 SU as much as I like some things about the Deere. Both tend to cut corners in places that don't seem appropriate, but I guess that is the way today. I like the Kubota L3800, and the JD E series in that price range too, but I would sure want to try that "jerky" three point hitch on the Kubota before buying. What a wart on a nice tractor that can be, but some of the shortcuts on the E series would take some thinking also.