Transmission type selection

/ Transmission type selection #31  
Hmmmm.....where have I heard this argument before? ;) Heres my take:

For precise positioning when picking up trees with my grapple I like the Hydro.

For precise positioning when locating my stump grinder I like the Hydro.

For loader work I like the Hydro.

For operating a tiller I like the Hydro.

For operating a box blade or landscape rake I like the Hydro.

For operating in close quarters in timber I like the Hydro.

For ease of use and lower fatigue I like the Hydro.

For operating a snow blower or snow plow I like the Hydro.

For operating a brush hog in the woods and around obsticles I like the Hydro. (open country makes little diff)

For plowing and discing in open areas Gears are just fine with me....and save a few ponies. I seldom plow or disc anymore.

I like the Hydro.

/ Transmission type selection #32  

For operating a brush hog in the woods and around obsticles I like the Hydro. (open country makes little diff)

For plowing and discing in open areas Gears are just fine with me....and save a few ponies. I seldom plow or disc anymore.

I like the Hydro.

Like He Said!!!!

/ Transmission type selection #33  
Same most likely applies to HST people discussing gear transmissions meaning they've never operated a gear tractor.

I have, BTW...buddy of mine had an 855 Deere and now has a 4310 with hydro. I haven't operated the 4310, but I've got some hours on the 855.

I agree completely. I have also found that while it is good to try a tractor out on the lot, it really takes several hours of actual use to fully appreciate how something will work for you.

I also often find a correlation between skill level/experience and age affecting a preference for one over the other.

Last edited:
   / Transmission type selection #34  

I like the Hydro.

yeah what he said:thumbsup:

/ Transmission type selection #35  

I like the Hydro.

:thumbsup:

/ Transmission type selection #36  
Ok, I've read almost all of the replies to the OP's questions.
One question keep coming into my head.

Everybody agrees that if you're doing field work, plowing etc, that a geared transmission is best. But nobody has said WHY? Does and HST have problems with long straight heavy loads?

Wedge

/ Transmission type selection #37  
I will stick my neck out here so it can be chopped off if I am wrong but I will learn in the process.

My impression is that they tend to over heat when subjected to contiuous hard labor.

But I don't own a HST and could be very wrong.

/ Transmission type selection #38  
I have owned HST tractors for seven years.My primary work is tillage.I pull two bottom plows,roto-till and harrow.About ten acres total of garden and food plots.Winter work eight ft.FEL mounted snow plow and rear blade.
If were doing hundreds of acres,no doubt a large gear tractor would be called for.My current tractor is 44hp,summer work the air is on;haven't had any problems.
I think for the average or new tractor owner HST is the way to go.I have used gear tractors in the past,HST,IMO is the way to go.I have about 700 hrs. brush--hogging,KEEP THE RADIATOR SCREENS CLEAN.

/ Transmission type selection #39  
I will stick my neck out here so it can be chopped off if I am wrong but I will learn in the process.

My impression is that they tend to over heat when subjected to contiuous hard labor.

But I don't own a HST and could be very wrong.

Its not that they overheat, it is just that they consume power and there is no advantage of the HST if the tractor's prime job is pulling the plow. I have worked my Kubota hard for 8 hours doing loader work in 100 degree heat, not a single sign of overheating,. I used to mow for 5 to 6 hours straight with my old New Holland TC33DA. and that is at full 540 speed, with the tractor in the Medium range (had flatter ground then) just hour after hour in the summertime.. No overheating. As said keep radiator clean and you will have no problems. Sure the tranny will warm up, but not beyond its designed in limits. Remember most hydro tractors do not have the Transmission fan like the BX, they have a radiator, and it works well.

James K0UA

/ Transmission type selection #40  
Ok, I've read almost all of the replies to the OP's questions.
One question keep coming into my head.

Everybody agrees that if you're doing field work, plowing etc, that a geared transmission is best. But nobody has said WHY? Does and HST have problems with long straight heavy loads?

Wedge

I'll take a stab at this. By it's nature, the HST is less efficient than a straight gear drive. If you make your business growing things that require a lot of ground engaging work you can get more done with the same amount of fuel with the gear drive. For a business that is on the razor's edge of profit/loss it makes sense to select the gear drive for this particular type of use, as it results in a better profit margin on the harvest. The gear drive costs less on most models, so that factors into the cost per unit of production, as well.

The lost efficiency is converted to heat, which is why the HST needs a little more cooling capacity for a given load. This may be why all the hand wringing about overheating, but I can't believe it's justified. If the cooling system is designed with the HST in mind, and for the climate in which it will be used, then this shouldn't be an issue. If the cooling system is marginal, then there may be some basis for this concern.