Transmission type selection

/ Transmission type selection #1  

saxon

Tractor
Kubota B1550, L3800
Which transmissions are better suited for front loader work,
HST, GST, or gears?
I was thinking about a HST but am wondering about gears.
What about for tilling, plowing, bush hogging, finish mowing?

/ Transmission type selection #2  
If your plans are to do more loader work, then HST is probably the most efficient way to go since you won't be constantly changing gears to move material back and forth. If your plan is to do more heavy ground engaging work with plows, disks, blades, then gear drive is probably the better choice. There is a reason why most tractors in the 30hp and up range are gear driven. HST by design is less efficient than gear drive so just keep that in mind.

/ Transmission type selection #3  
If your plans are to do more loader work, then HST is probably the most efficient way to go since you won't be constantly changing gears to move material back and forth. If your plan is to do more heavy ground engaging work with plows, disks, blades, then gear drive is probably the better choice. There is a reason why most tractors in the 30hp and up range are gear driven. HST by design is less efficient than gear drive so just keep that in mind.

I Agree.

/ Transmission type selection #4  
I have never ran anything but geared tractors so I haven't personally experienced the pros and cons but I have been looking at TBN for a while and I note that there seems to be lots of problems and troubles associated with HST equipment. The operator convienience must make it worth it, I guess, or they wouldn't sell. But other than a clutch once in a great while geared tractors seem to have far fewer problems and limitations.
This is just my opinion.

/ Transmission type selection #5  
We have tractors with the old non synchronized geared "crash box", HST, hydraulic shuttle shift and use to own a synchro shuttle shift.

The answer is simple to me at least if you take out the plowing part. For me, an HST is the "easiest" to use, but I would not want to do a lot of continuous plowing.

I have no experience with a GST, so I can't comment on that, but of the types I have used, the hydraulic shuttle shift is the next easiest to use and you can do everything you describe.

I have seen a lot of older problem free HST tractors, so reliability issues are not a concern for me. If they weren't reliable, I wouldn't own one.

/ Transmission type selection
One thing about it, I am already used to a HST. That is what my B1550 has on it, that Ive had for 18 years.

/ Transmission type selection #7  
don't know where you are, but if big snows and snowblower are in your future, then HST is the choice ...unless you like to replace clutches

/ Transmission type selection #8  
I have owned both 2 gear and 2 Hydrostat tractors over a 20 year period, and if Loader work is your primary focus then it is Hydrostat hands down. I have had 0 problems with hydrostat tractors, nor have I heard or read of any. I have heard of many clutch replacements in geared tractors, mostly because of improper use by the operators. If your primary focus is tillage work, then gear is your best choice. Either choice will work for Loader work, but you will have less fatigue, work faster and easier with a Hydro. Hydro is also much easier to use pallet forks, around valuable equipment, less chance of destroying something, and safer to use around personell. Hydro has no learning curve, an inexperienced person can be doing productive work with a couple minutes of instruction.

James K0UA

/ Transmission type selection #9  
Which transmissions are better suited for front loader work,
HST, GST, or gears?
I was thinking about a HST but am wondering about gears.
What about for tilling, plowing, bush hogging, finish mowing?

As for mowing, it really depends on what you are mowing. In my case I have so much to trim around, I bought a trim mower, and don't have a need to change speed/direction so I do just fine with a gear trannie. Other factors such as being able to easily remove the FEL are more important for mowing work.
Tilling is so speed dependent HST is probably better but that's a guess in my part.
Your mileage will vary:thumbsup:

/ Transmission type selection #10  
As for "tillage work" I meant plowing, or using a disc. As for operating a rotary tiller, I would think a Hydro would be superior, as it involves a lot of stop and go and dwelling at one spot to break up some stubborn soil. Anything that requires stop and go or slow and fast in rapid succession or directional changes will benefit from the Hydro. If you are mowing a straight section then gear is fine, if you are mowing around things constantly and need to slow down and speed up constantly then hydro is better.

James K0UA