Tires Most aggressive R3 turf tires

/ Most aggressive R3 turf tires #1  

brad_oatley

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35D
Any experience or opinions on the most aggresive turf tire? On another site a poster referenced bridgestone "pillow block" turf tires as being aggresive enough for woods use or snowplowing. I'm going to buy a 35 or 40 HP tractor and I'm not wild about R4's.

/ Most aggressive R3 turf tires #2  
Brad,

Let us know what you mainly are going to be using the tractor for. The turf's will do a pretty good job on most anything except for mostly loader work applications. Barn yard work, snow plowing the R4's will be better. But if you do finish mowing most people will tell you turf's are the best. Your tractor size is pretty large for finish mowing whether you use turf's or R4's.

But throw out what you plan on using the tractor for and you will get all kinds of reponses. Also I notice in your profile you are a mechaical contractor, same here.

murph

/ Most aggressive R3 turf tires #3  
Brad,
I've had two Kubotas, one 25hp, the other 30hp. Both have loaders and turf tires. My 30 hp has some aggressive tires on it, but I'll have to go to the barn to find what they are. I really haven't had much problems moving snow or using the loader with these tires. If they weren't 4wd it wouldn't be the smart choice to have turf tires.

/ Most aggressive R3 turf tires #4  
I have bar turfs on my 670 which is almost identical to your 790 (except for HP, of course).

I'm pretty happy with them. They do mark up the lawn somewhat, but that goes away after a few days.

Now, they don't have the traction of the R1's or R4's. Your 790 and my 670 are kind of light weight...y'know?

After the blizzard we had in PA this year, reckon I'll be looking for chains this year.

Attachments

• 247600-670 Outside_A.jpg
    247600-670 Outside_A.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 770
   / Most aggressive R3 turf tires
I'm going to buy a TC 35D or 40D this week. A lot of the time is on 2 acres of turf grass and 3 acres of field grass that is kept finish mowed. But I'm clearing 4 acres of new england woods of undergrowth and brush so I need some traction and puncture resistance. I guess it's R4's for me unless y'all talk me out of them. I've had turfs on plenty of tractors and with chains they'll do 'bout anything asked of them, but I haven't had 'em in the woods.

/ Most aggressive R3 turf tires #6  
Brad,

As I posted earlier the weight of your tractor will mean more to you than the tire. I have R4's on my TC29D and I have to be careful. Stay off of wet grass. The other thing going against me is my lawn is less than two years old. So root growth isn't there. What concerns me is your tractor is heavier yet!!! (664lbs more) Before I got my tractor I used my neighbors with turf to brush hog. I had to have it in 4 wheel drive all the time with my hills. Now brush hoggin with my R4's I have no trouble on the hills. If you land is fairly flat maybe someone here should give you some more information on turf's and chains and how they have performed. The other thing is compare the width of the R4 tire on my TC29D versus your 35 or 40. If you have a wider tire you may be able to stay with the R4's

I probably have really confused you and maybe others, but I am concerned about the weight of your tractor on turf grass.

murph

/ Most aggressive R3 turf tires #7  
Watch out for the ply rating when you consider using your turfs in the woods. Some turf tires are 6ply, most are 4ply. R4's provide more protection from puncture as they are 6 ply or better.

Jerry

/ Most aggressive R3 turf tires #8  
I've got a 35D w/ 84" MMM & R-4 and it works great.
The SS is good for mowing, leaves about 30" dia. circle uncut.
I've mowed in some soft areas and it leaves a LOT less ruts than my old L2900 Kubota w/ Woods 72" RFM (the small wheels on the mower left the worse ruts).
Run the air in the R-4 low to leave a bigger footprint, I can't remember where mine are w/o checking.

/ Most aggressive R3 turf tires #9  
Roy,

Those are pretty cool. Were your original tires on your 670 turf? It also looks like you didn't get different fronts when you got the new rear tires. I'm curious as my 855 is also very similar to your 670.

/ Most aggressive R3 turf tires #10  
Like Roy,

Your not trying to hang someone there with that rope are ya???