Can My Compact dig this out? (or is it time to rent a skid steer)

/ Can My Compact dig this out? (or is it time to rent a skid steer) #1  

MMH

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4500
I have to level an area for a pole barn. The high side is about 6' higher than the low side. The width that needs to be leveled is 50 an the length is 70. I figure that I can dig 4' into the high side & fill 2' on the low side. So, essentially I would be digging out a triangle 47' long by 4' tall that is 50' wide. This is 174 yds. of dirt.

To make things worse, it's been wet here this year. This is not hard pack, but boggy mud. And, as soon as I get through the mud I will be in yellow clay (the dirt/mud is not very deep here). I'm in western PA if that helps.

My tractor is a Kubota B9200 (a compact - about 1600 lbs.) w/ a FEL. I would keep the 5' box blade on for ballast & the tires (R1) are loaded. Will my tractor be up for this or is it time to rent a skid steer? Also, would a tooth bar help? Or would it be more effective to use the scarifiers on the box blade to loosen things up & pick up w/ the FEL?

/ Can My Compact dig this out? (or is it time to rent a skid steer) #2  
I would probably loosen itup and drag it over with the box blade. When angled right it is easy to fill up and drag material and probably moves as much as the bucket. Also the cycle time should be quicker. Just back and forth.

/ Can My Compact dig this out? (or is it time to rent a skid steer) #3  
why not? thats what a tractor with a FEL is for IMHO. :thumbsup:

/ Can My Compact dig this out? (or is it time to rent a skid steer) #4  
Make a few exploratory digs. I excavated my driveway out of a hillside with my 755. It all depends on how big a hurry you're in. The way I see it, if I can do it with a shovel and wheelbarrow, my FEL can do it. Just don't think it'll only take a day. My driveway excavation was spread out over more than a month, but it was quality seat time.

/ Can My Compact dig this out? (or is it time to rent a skid steer) #5  
The skid steer with tracks will give you better tractions in the mud and the compact size will give more maneuverability. What you have should work fine, it just may take longer. When are you planning on building the barn?

Wedge

/ Can My Compact dig this out? (or is it time to rent a skid steer) #6  
Yeah, you can do it, but I personally would rent something bigger like a skid steer especially this time of year with changing weather.

My sons and I built a firing range with a couple of much bigger tractors and while I like seat time as much as the next guy, it got old pretty quick.

Consider the amount of wear you are going to put on your machine and fuel bill; might be worth it and might not.

Last edited:
   / Can My Compact dig this out? (or is it time to rent a skid steer) #7  
It's gonna take a while!! I don't think it's the right tool for that job.

When you loosen up that compacted fill the cubic volume will be much greater than your estimate.

And yes you would definetly need the tooth bar to dig 4 feet with a FEL, unless you live on a beach.

Almost need a back hoe to dig and loosen that, even if all lossened it could be ~500 full buckets of material!

JB.

/ Can My Compact dig this out? (or is it time to rent a skid steer) #8  
It's gonna take a while!! I don't think it's the right tool for that job.

When you loosen up that compacted fill the cubic volume will be much greater than your estimate.

JB.

A swell factor of ~25% is common when estimating how much material must be moved, so;

175CY (bank measure) * 1.25 (swell factor) = ~220CY of loose fill.

Now if you were calculating the volume required to fill a volume of 175CY you would add about 20-30% for shrinkage (and sometimes more if transporting the fill over long distances) so you would need about 230CY of borrow (fill) before compaction.

These values vary with soil composition, moisture content, and the required compaction level.

/ Can My Compact dig this out? (or is it time to rent a skid steer) #9  
It all depends on how much time you want to take. :thumbsup:

Will you be removing the organic topsoil on the fill area?

If you use your tractor Start at the point where the fill meets the excavation and work Straight back and forth. Start the dumping at the lowest point. That way you will compact the fill by constantly running over it.Dig into the high side and keep advancing one bucket wide at the finished level. Then move over and do it all again. Make sure you keep both the digging and the fill area level. Exspecially the digging area.

Again keep all level and smooth.[ if possible seeing as there is muck] It will make the job go about twice as fast.:thumbsup:

/ Can My Compact dig this out? (or is it time to rent a skid steer) #10  
It all depends on how much time you want to take. :thumbsup:

Will you be removing the organic topsoil on the fill area?

If you use your tractor start at the point where the fill meets the excavation and work Straight back and forth. Start the dumping at the lowest point. That way you will compact the fill by constantly running over it.Dig into the high side and keep advancing one bucket wide [ or less ] at the finished level. Then move over and do it all again. Make sure you keep both the digging and the fill area level. Exspecially the digging area.

Again keep all level and smooth.[ if possible seeing as there is muck] It will make the job go about twice as fast.:thumbsup: