anyone ever used this guy?

/ anyone ever used this guy? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I've recently figured out what a "pc 40-7" is, it's komatsu's min excavator. I found this nice looking machine on the net. Has anyone ever used one of these guys? It looks like a nice machine, the right type of thumb and everything.

Blake
WA

Attachments

• 248217-70452415.jpg
    248217-70452415.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 561
   / anyone ever used this guy?
Close up of the thumb.

Blake
WA

Attachments

• 248218-70452416.jpg
    248218-70452416.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 332
   / anyone ever used this guy? #3  
I used a Kumatsu mini around that size for a few hours one time. But the one I ran had a full cab. I don't remember the model #.
Very nice little machine. The model I used was similar in size weight and controls of a 101 Kubota.

/ anyone ever used this guy? #4  
A local guy has one. I dunno much about it really. Seems to be a nice size. Not too big, not too small. Komatsu has a good reputation for reliablity.

FYI,
Komatsu's designations are:
PC=excavator
WA=wheel loader
D= crawler; either dozer or track loader (the model# will be different)
The trucks are numbers only.

/ anyone ever used this guy? #5  
Blake that Komatsu is a good little machine, before the economy went down the toilet here i was about to buy one. I had my heart set on a PC50UU that weighed in at 11000 pounds. It had straight linked controls and a zero tail swing to. Then i looks at a PC40-6 it had a large tail swing and looked more like a 1small PC60. the PC40-7 you have in the picture has pilot contraols with lowpressure hydraulic valve actuators. I use one a freind of mine owns when he wants me to run a job. I dont like the thumbes that stay on the machine all the time because they take away from the weigt we can hang over the side plus there a certain percentage of inefficiency gained with it. They are nice though. ish bucket has and extra pin hole in it to take a thum that follws the bucket takes 4 minutes to install the thumb. I used his 40 this morning to dig a grave at the cemetary and clean out there ditches.
Im using a 27Deere on a job for my uncle putting in a retaining wall on the lake, and i have to dig a road out on a bluff then go put an adapter i made to put a Bobcat auger on the bucket so i can reach where the post holes need to be. THis summer im trying to save the pennies up to get a mini excavator and a little dozer. THe guy at the trental store said the little loader had more uses and was better at the auger but the hoe can reach nearly 12 feet and 5 can reachway up on a bank.

/ anyone ever used this guy?
has pilot contraols with lowpressure hydraulic valve actuators

What exactly does that mean above? Is that a good thing? I personally like having hyd. thumbs on excavators. It's very convenient and that particular thumb is really nice. The company that makes it is in WA, that trackhoe is actually for sale here in WA in the same city as the thumb company.

Anyway.... attached is a picture of the companies thumb on a cat 302.5, this machine is also in the same city, I've been to this place a couple of times, called Alpine Rockeries.

Blake
WA

Attachments

• 248640-cat3035_4.jpg
    248640-cat3035_4.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 159
   / anyone ever used this guy? #7  
Low pressure pilot controls use hydraulic pressures around 300 psi to actuate the main control valve. It is a great thing to have because it requires less effort to control the machine and allows you to have better control as well. Rather than using controls tied directly to the high pressure control valve(harder to move the levers) you move these low presssure controls instead.

/ anyone ever used this guy? #9  
Blake Another advantage to pilot controls is the manvalve can be set further from the controls, less effort to use them, shorter arm movemnts are required, and my favorite no slop in the control. I operated a Koerhing excavator a few weeks ago, Had straight linked controls that had slack in them, seemed like your hands moved a maile for each control, and had to apply alot of effort on thecontrols. It sometimes binded on the movements becase of the combined slop in the contral linkage After that work out all day i swore id been swimming allday. Im used to new Komatsus and Cat excavators, and it was fun trying to catch the slop in the controls along with the slop in the Koerhing's boom. I went to a machinery show a few months ago with a local dealer, he let me operate a new O&K may have been a Leibherr excavator with fly by wire controlls all electric it was great but under the control boot looked like a nice place to find a shorted circuit. The O&K had a nice feature its the siz3 of a 300 Komatsu, They have a 4in1 bucket it opens like a front 4in1 but has and eaxtra lip. used as a thumb. it was fun to operate