Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Default Re: First maintence on an \'new\' old tractor?

Thanks, no problem, just email me.

Soundguy

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

Much good info has been said here already. Here is mine [img]/forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Even if previous owner has done some tuneup, and the oil looks good, change it all! Start with fresh filters for everything... engine oil, air, hydraulic, fuel. Then get fresh oil for everything. While you're at it, get fresh rotor, cap, points, plugs, and wires.

Get that grease gun out, and check all the zerk fittings on the steering and 3pt and any other possible lube point. This is often overlooked... Most manuals say to grease the zerks every 10 hours, not 10 years.

Make sure the fuel system is clear and clean. One thing I note on my old hand crank start Farmall is that California gas sucks, and even with stabilizer it starts harder after a month or or so...

Before you touch all that stuff, get a manual. Ford/New Holland has the stuff; I know the dealer in Sacramento does so most others will too.

Before changing the fluid, think about the volumes you will have... You will need catch pans for A LOT of fluid! These tractors hold lots more than cars and pickups. 5 gallons of fluid or more is not unusual on tractors.

Check out YTmag.com They have a ton of info on doing all this stuff, as well as a Ford discussion forum. You might find more info on ATIS.net too.

Take your time, and enjoy it. These older tractors are fun to fiddle with. And, post some pictures [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks
    I'll post some pictures around Sun or Mon.

Ken H.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Yep.. an FO-4 manual will cover your 9n.

And yes.. about 5 gallons of hydro/tranny oil is in the rear end.
    Not sure about crankcase.. but that oil pan looks pretty large.. would guess at 4-6 qts.. maybee more.. My manual isn't with me to check.

Soundguy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12