First maintence on an 'new' old tractor?

/ First maintence on an 'new' old tractor? #1  

Anonymous Poster

First maintence on an \'new\' old tractor?

Well, I bring home a 9n on Sunday morning. Before I start to use it I plan on changing the oil and coolant. The previous ower just did plugs and points. Hydraulic fluid is full. Anything else I should look for?

Thanks
Ken H.

/ First maintence on an 'new' old tractor? #2  
Re: First maintence on an \'new\' old tractor?

Ken,

Congrats on the new (to you) tractor. I'm pretty sure you can get a service manual for the 9N. Just not sure where. Maybe someone else will chime in. ebay maybe? or a google search...

When was the hydraulic fluid last changed? My new holland states every 300 hours. I'd change any filters the tractor has (hydraulic, oil, air).

/ First maintence on an 'new' old tractor?

How stupid of me... air filter. That should have been right next to oil change.

I feel like a little kid that cant play with his new toy yet.

Ken H.

/ First maintence on an 'new' old tractor? #4  

It is possible I saw a manual at Tractor Supply Co.????
Hey, I DID see it at TSC and you can order it online here ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fluids and air are the life of the tractor - change them all, along with the filters.

Mark

/ First maintence on an 'new' old tractor? #5  

If you don't already have a grease gun, you will need one and use it a lot. I'm not real familiar with the 9N, but find a way to check/lube the steering box, probably 80-90w.

/ First maintence on an 'new' old tractor? #6  

Is your "air" filter an oil bath? The air gets bubbled up through oil to take out any dust or dirt. Changing the oil is all that is necessary for the oil bath filter.

/ First maintence on an 'new' old tractor? #7  

Congrats on the N.

You can get an I&T FO-4 manual at many places.. tsc.. NH dealer, etc. Great manual.

You air cleaner is an oil bath type with a metalic mesh element. ( looks like stainless steel scrubby pads ).

There is a spring clip retainer that hold it in.. it can be cleaned inthe solvent of your choice... kerosene, etc.

The oil inthe oil bath needs to be filled to the oil line.. motor oil is fine.

The oil in the tranny is sopposed to be a 90wt mineral oil conforming to gl-1 specs... It is not a gear oil or an ep/peneplex type oil... those can damage the brass/bronze parts in your hydraulic system.

the oil can be bought at TSC under the traveler brand name and will be labeled for ford tractors 1939-53.. They also sell a universal transdraulic fluid that meets New hollands 134 d specs for hydr/gear oil... wallymart also sells a suitable gl-1 90wt mineral oil.. and lastly, NH dealers sell the 134d oil.

There are three drain plugsfor the tranny. It should hold 5 gallons when full.. but don't just dump in 5 gallons.. sometimes crud accumulates and will raise the oil level. Check the oil level on the dipstick.. ignore the 'when cylinders extended' as the ram on the 3pt ony use about a cup of oil.

Engine originally used a 30wt non detergent oil.. but many have switched to a detergent oil. Some even use mulitgrade oil... but I prefer the thicker 30wt oil especially if the engine is slightly worn.

For filters, there is a canister on the left side of the engine.. takes an element.
I believe these are the common crossover #'s
napa gold 1010, car quest 85010, fram c-3 or c-3p, motorcraft fl-144

And yes.. do grease it... there are grease fittings on tboth fron/rear steering draglinks, and on the front axle spindles.. and one on the adujstable lift link on the rear 3pt area. Memory failing me now.. but think there should be one for the front axle kingpin pivot area.

9n should have it's steering box lubed by oil slinger in tranny, as steering box is open bottom.. but i&t manual will tell more about that.

Oh yeah.. don't overfill the tranny... oil will leak past the wheel /axle seals, and then oil your breaks.. and these n's breaks are already only adequate at best...

feel free to email me if you need any more info.

Soundguy

Wow. Thank you very much. When I actually get it home next weekend and can look at everything first hand again... I am sure I will have a question or two for you.

Thanks again
Ken H.

/ First maintence on an 'new' old tractor? #9  

Here is a site that might help you on the 9N,
There is also a 8N page out there, lots of good information on both, Sure helped me when I had my 8N
http://www.my9n.com/.

You will probably find a _lot_ more knowledge about older tractors at www.ytmag.com . Go to the Ford N section. that is just as nice a site as this one, dedicated to older tractors. There are a LOT of N folks there & very helpful.

--->Paul