Trailers

/ Trailers #1  

couchsachraga

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4520 cab... formerly Yanmar 336D
Greetings...

I'm considering getting a trailer to haul my tractor around to various locations...I've found a Big Tex Roadrunner (16', 6000k capacity, dual axle, elec. brakes, winch) for 1200 (it's 5 years old, only a little surface rust, wood deck in good shape). Is this a decent price for the Northeast US? Any recommendations for / against a Big Tex?

Thank you in advance,
Couchsachraga
P.S. Tractor is a 33hp diesel Yanmar with loader....it will fit....

/ Trailers #2  
For my area price seems to be pretty good. One thing to make sure though is you have to load your tractor just right to get the proper tongue weight. If your tractor just fits on it with the loader you may not be far enough to the front of the trailer with the major weight. Just double check that before buying.

murph

/ Trailers #3  
I can get a Kaufman 16', tandem axle, electric breaks, 10,000 lbs for 1750.00 new. I would say that price is a little bit high. I wouldn't pay anymore than 1,000.00 for it.

/ Trailers
Greetings...

Thanks for the quick responses.... I figured I'd offer 1k and see what he says. I also figured the winch was worth something (not much, considering a new one is 200 or so). Any comments on Kaufman or others versus Big Tex? It seems well constructed, but I'm a little out of my league on trailers.

Thanks again,
Couchsachraga

/ Trailers #5  
Seems a little high to me. Around here a 16' BigTex utility trailer with the stuff you describe, and 7,000 lbs of axles costs about $1350 brand new. You don't describe the winch. If it is a Warn winch or the like with 6 or 8 k capacity, that's worth something. If it's a little 2k boat-type winch (Powerwinch or such) then it's worth very little, in my opinion.

As far as quality, the BigTex seemed to be pretty good. I looked at them last year when I bought my trailer, but decided on another brand, which was so far superior to anything else in that price range I would have been foolish to pass it up. There are lots of trailer-related discussions on this board that I found helpful at the time.

Lastly, I don't know what trailers go for in the Northeast. Shipping is a big expense for something of that size, and here in Texas, BigTex is close by /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Trailers #6  
The price doesn't sound too out of line for this part of the country (Indiana). I can't speak to regional differences, of course, except to say that generally speaking the cost of living here is less than there.

It seems like the biggest question you ought to ask is whether or not a 6,000 lb. trailer will safely and comfortably haul your tractor. One thing I do like about your potential purchase is that it has a winch on it. I added one recently and it's been priceless on my tilt bed trailer. If it has a brake on it you'll cut your time spent securing your loaded tractor by more than half. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Trailers #7  
I think that is a good price for this area of the country, trailers can be tough to find at all in the Northeast.

Matt