Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tractor
    Kubota B-7500

Default Re: My first post!!!

Your property sounds alot like mine, we don't live to far from each other. I had lots of thorny brush you will probably want a brush hog to cut it then soak it good with round-up. I also had vines in my trees old apple orchard the vines were the hairy type mentioned above yes it was some type of poison my arms and upper torsoe will attest to that [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I cut mine at the lowest point I could and yanked them down by hand not the best method but with vigilance I succeeded. Turf tires will possiably get punctured I would recommend gettting tubes installed in the fronts. The rocks will be a recurring problem I seem to grow them. I had a guy use a harley rake to get the rocks out when I was ready to seed it worked real well but I have heard they are very expensive. Hope this helps.
    Enjoy the seat time. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Tractor
    4210 John Deere

If poison ivy, cut vines in middle of winter and let die off over a long period of time before pulling out of tree. In spring when new foilage appears brush just the leaves with a weed killer. It will be easier on the plants/trees you want to keep.

Just my two cents worth.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Great ideas everyone THANK YOU!!! This definitely gives me many possibilities.

I did confirm that at least one of the vines is poison ivy, got a mild rash on my legs. I guess this is what I get for working in shorts [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. Fortunately, poison ivy doesnít spread on me beyond the original contact area. Unlike my brother who needs steroid shots to rid himself of it. You couldnít imagine the pain he went through when he wiped his ***** with a poison oak leaf once. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Found a decent document to help identify the various vines here:
    http://www.friendsofcongaree.org/act...6_Plant_ID.pdf
    Problem is most IDís are made by the leaves and of course there are none yet.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Jim
    [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar 186D

For the brush a rotary cutter / bushhog is amazingly satisfying. You can turn head high brush into grassland just by mowing it from time to time. Some bushes can be popped out roots and all if you can get to them with the fel. I seem to remember several threads in the kubota forum about bushhogs and the BX. As for flat tires I seem to remember people here having good luck with Slime. About the golfball sized rocks I think it is pretty much hand work. You can try a landscape rake. I don't think that the BX can run a power rake. What you are doing is the kind of work I love. Hope you enjoy it.

Chris

Tractor
    99 JD4200 4WD Collarshift

Don't take the poison ivy for granted. Your resistance is reduced with each contact. I could run through it barefoot when I was a kid. Now I get an irritating rash.

Bill H... I sure agree with you. I live in SW PA and we seem to have an abundance of poison ivy in this area. My mother was an avid gardener and boasted that she never got poison ivy even though she frequently came in contact with it while working her flower an vege gardens. When she was in her mid 60's she was planting flowers around an old pine stump and came down with a severe case of PI. It was so severe that the doctor was considering having her admitted to the hospital. She was miserable for a month. I havenít had poison ivy for over 30 years but I stay away from it and kill it with spray as soon as I see it. If you do come in contact with it you need to wash you skin as quickly as possible with a strong soap and water. You even need to be careful with your clothes that may have come in contact with PI. They recommend that you wash them separately so that you don't pass the oils to the clothes of other family members. My wife is very susceptible to PI. She breaks out if she gets in the vicinity of PI; doesn't have to touch it.

John

John, being one of those who was immune to poison ivy for several years, then very susceptible to it most of my life, I've done a lot of reading about it. All your information is, of course, correct, but I've read that no one knows why some people are immune and others are not, and those who are immune may suddenly lose that immunity, while those who are not may suddenly become immune. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] So whether you are immune, or think your are, or not, I think it's a good idea to follow your advice. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    TC35D w/ SS

They now make special soaps to wash off w/ after having contact w/ poisen ivy. When we were kids.. I remember my sister getting a bad case when my dad was burning yard trash.. seems the smoke carries the stuff pretty good.. my poor sister's face swelled up like a strawberry.. not pretty. I always get a little over the summer.. my double-line weed wacker (lawn trimmer) throws juice everywhere.. by the time I'm done trimming.. the front side of me is yard green!

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

It must have some relation to imune function and algery reactions. For instance, I used to be very suceptable to ant stings and wasps... to the point once when I was younger, I even had some short term parylisis <SP> after ant bites.

Now... wasps do nothing but itch for a few minutes then go away.. and most ant stings do nothing.. at most a small blister the next day.... odd.

Soundguy

Suceptability to certain allergies often changes as we reach different times of our life. To the point of where this thread has gone, I have never had poison ivy in my 46 years, but since we have a lot on our property, I do take proper precautions to insure I don't get it now. (My wife can just think about it and get a rash...)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12