Unhooking pto with engine off?

/ Unhooking pto with engine off? #1  

radman1

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4520, Toolcat 5610, Bobcat S300, Case-IH 125 Pro, Case-IH 245, IH 1086, IH 806
Earlier thread discussed hooking up pto shaft with engine off vs running. How many unhook pto with engine off? I do not shut off the engine. The potential risk (although nearly nonexistent) is the same with the engine running.

Last edited:
   / Unhooking pto with engine off? #2  
I agree that the risk either way is low but can't agree that it is the same with engine running or not. The engine running is a power source which due to unforeseen circumstances can result in injury.

/ Unhooking pto with engine off? #3  
if the tractor is running when we to unhook we leave it running.if its parked where we want to unhook we dont crank it up.

/ Unhooking pto with engine off? #4  
If weighing the odds of things I'd think it more important to ground the tractor out so's to eliminate the fear of getting struck by lightning.

/ Unhooking pto with engine off? #5  
If weighing the odds of things I'd think it more important to ground the tractor out so's to eliminate the fear of getting struck by lightning.

Thats why I always lower my FEL bucket to the ground !!

/ Unhooking pto with engine off? #6  
I always hook and unhook the PTO with the engine off. Only because I can slightly turn the tractor PTO shaft when off to help align the splines. Also just a good safety practice. But I'll admit, I do it with the tractor off more for the ease of hook-up / un-hook than safety :ashamed:

/ Unhooking pto with engine off? #7  
Everything said about hooking up a PTO applies equally to unhooking one.

/ Unhooking pto with engine off? #9  
Totally empty at this moment. :(

/ Unhooking pto with engine off? #10  

That is why I operate with the ROPS up. It acts as a lightning arrester/shield. I'm not really concerned with rollover. :D