glow plugs

/ glow plugs #1  

Dick324

Tractor
Case 400, Case 1120, Case 430, Case VAC
I just bought a Case 1120 with a 3 cylinder Mitsubishi diesel. When I turn switch to ignite the glow plugs (10 seconds in operating manual) the glow plugs are not warm to touch, the indicator on the dash doesn't turn red. I checked for voltage at the glow plugs when I turn switch and 12 volts is at the plugs. I have tried to ignite for more than 10 seconds still no heat at the plugs. Could the 3 plugs be bad, then what about the indicator light. This does not look like a light it looks like the top of a salt shaker.
Any ideas?

/ glow plugs #2  
My Mahindra 2615 also uses a Mitsubishi engine with 3 glow plugs. Yes they go bad. My tractor is a 2004 and I've replaced mine twice. The first time I had a hard starting problem I did not have a 12V reading on the plugs for the duration of the timer. It turned out one of my plugs was shorted to ground. Upon disconnecting the glow plug 12V lead and testing again I did have 12V so I knew the problem was with a plug. The timer circuit seemed to work fine but to check the plugs properly you have to remove the metal strap that connects all three together and check each one with an ohmmeter. ( I pulled mine to check them) On the 20K scale a good plug should read 2.08 using a digital meter (or close to it).
The second time I had a hard starting problem I checked the plugs again. This time I had a 12V reading so I disconnected and checked the plugs individually. This time I had one plug working and the other two had an open or no resistance reading Luckily the tractor was in the garage so heating up the garage with a salamander for a half hour usually warmed it up enough to start without the glow plugs preheating. A second was shorted to ground and the third was open with no reading.
The bad thing is the glow plugs are a dealer only item so if this turns out to be your problem be prepared for sticker shock.

/ glow plugs
I shopped around and found just what you said, only the dealer had the glow plug for my tractor, but it wasn't as bad as I have read from others. $23.04 each. I don't have a timer, but I have an indicator that didn't work either. I talked with a mechanic at the dealership and he told me how to test my glow plugs, as you stated, and that once my plugs work so would the indicator.
Well new plugs installed, old ones tested bad. Now the indicator is working also, a good day.
Thanks for your response.

/ glow plugs #4  
The biggest majority of these glow plugs are made by Beru. If you look at the bottom of the glow plug, there is a part number . Mine was 0100 226 393 xx. If you take that number, a lot of the time you can cross reference to a NGK or Bosch number and save some serious bucks. Dealer wanted $49 for one, and I got them at O'Reilly auto for $8 each.

/ glow plugs
Thanks for the info, I will do what you suggested next time.