FEL Quick-Connect problem

/ FEL Quick-Connect problem #1  

Heath

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere 4110 HST w/R4s
I removed the 410 FEL off my JD 4110 for the first time the other day. Removing it couldn't have gone any smoother, but I had a very difficult time reattaching it.
The problem was getting the 4 quick connect couplers to re-connect. I worked on it for over an hour using just my hands and couldn't get them to connect. I relieved the pressure in the system by cycling the joystick several times, but I couldn't get them connected.
What I ended up doing was grabbing the end of the hose fittings and "tapping" them into the couples with a hammer. They easily connected using this method and I'm sure I didn't hurt anything, but I'm wondering if I'll ahve to do this every time??? Will these couplers loosen up over time? Could there be too much hydraulic fluid in the system causing the pressure to remain too high?
When the hoses were disconnected, I could push the center pin in on the couples by just using my fingertip, so I don't think system pressure was the problem.
I'm hoping that the couplers themselves are just not broke in yet.
Any opinions????
Thanks
Heath

/ FEL Quick-Connect problem #2  
Hello Heath,

If you pull the collar back on the female connector then shove the male connector in it will be much easier.

/ FEL Quick-Connect problem
I did that. The collars on my couplers stay back once they are pushed back. They snap forward on their own, once the fitting is inserted into the coupler far enough. I couldn't get the hose fitting to go into the coupler far enough by hand.
I know the collars and couples work correctly, because they snap forward like they are supposed to when I insert the dust cap.
Heath

/ FEL Quick-Connect problem #4  
Hello Heath,

With the hose hanging they will build up pressure making it difficult to reconnect.

I put a rag over the end of the hose tap the end onto the post the FEL rests on then they will snap together very easily /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif .

You tap the "nipple" coming out the end of the hose? I tried to press this nipple in before I attempted the connection, but it felt like there was A LOT of pressure in the hoses.
How hard to you have to "tap" them against the frame?

/ FEL Quick-Connect problem #6  
Engine off? (Don't wish to get into minutiae, but just checking....)
Did you relieve pressure with engine off BEFORE you removed FEL? (to relieve pressure in the FEL lines...)
Just ideas....
Mark

No I didn't. I'll try this next time. I do have the engine off, but I don't cycle the joystick after the loader is off the tractor. Do YOU do this every time?
If yes or no? Does it help?
Since the cylinders are going to be partially extended, I'd think that there will always be pressure in them, unless all cylinders are fully closed.

/ FEL Quick-Connect problem #8  
"every time" for me has been only twice /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
Each time they go on and off VERY easily. I should note that I have a New Holland, but I guess the concept is the same. Also, my loader has a "kick-stand", so I theorize that the pressure is borne by that after it is relieved (I'm still figuring out this whole hydraulic concept /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, but I'm learning thanks to this site.)
Good luck!
Mark
PS My manual makes a big deal about injection injuries - 3-5000 psi of fluid pressure "can inject itself under the skin causing injury, gangrene, and/or death" /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifYEEECCHHH! So I always have the engine off and pressure relieved before connecting and disconnecting the loader or rear remote.

My JD FEL also has a built in stand, but I still beleive that an extended cyclinder is under pressure. I am definitely a hyraulic novice though!
My manual also has a lot of warnings regarding hydraulic pressure and serious injury.

/ FEL Quick-Connect problem #10  
I have had my 410 loader off and on several times and never had a problem...will the last time I put the FEL back on I had the same problem you describe. I have followed the removal/attachment directions to the letter each time. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif