Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    New Holland T 1520

Default Re: What are your tractor winterizing tips/lessons learned.

One piece of advice I can give as an expert procrastinator is to do whatever winterizing you need a month before you need to.

Winter here sometimes comes all at once with a dump of snow followed by a week of cold. Cold and snow make everything more difficult and hurried, which means more things go wrong, which makes for greater frustration. I go through this every year - don't follow my example.

Also, scout all the areas which will need to be plowed or snow blown to make sure there are no objects which will be covered by the snow only to be found by the snow blower. Shear bolts can be great things, but they can be a real pain when it is cold and blowing snow.

Speaking of shear bolts, if you have a snow blower make sure you have a supply and know where they are.

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Quote Originally Posted by bigbull338 View Post
    yes if your storing a mower deck its smart to wash out from under it an on top of it.mine is a fullsize farm tractor.
    I just pulled the deck off my JD and cleaned it well before storing, now I am power washing the underside (the tractor) of grass and other debris, when that is done I will clean the upper side and engine compartment. My tractor goes about 100 hours a year and I really only give it a complete cleaning after removing the deck and before installing the FEL and RB for winter time snow removal.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1920

These are all good suggestions and I will do.

The talk of the lawn mower deck reminds me I totally forgot about my bushhog. I guess I need to give it a good cleaning underneath before putting it up for the winter.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

Read the book The manual for my old kubota, and my current tractor, have info on storage and winterizing.

Having a shed is tops on my list, even in the summer. My Dad got a Ford 9N about 6 years ago, with like new rear tires. now, they are all weather checked from sitting outside.

for some tractors, the manuals recomend latching the clutch in the disengaged position.

Put it away clean.
    RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1920

I agree. I hate to have any equipment sitting in the weather. It's like watching money burn. There is a farm down the road where a gentlemen who lived by himself passed away a few years ago and the estate is being contested. Meanwhile, all of his equipment, car, house etc. is rotting away.

Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

Quote Originally Posted by edrobyn View Post
    This will be my first winter with a tractor in many years and my first ever with a diesel. I live in Tennessee so our winters are not quite as harsh as our northern neighbors but it can get pretty cold here in January. My tractor is located on another piece of property about 20 miles from my house so I won't be using my tractor very little or perhaps at all for about 3 months. The tractor stays covered in a small shed which is enclosed on three sides. There is no electricity in this shed for a block heater. What would you recommend I do to store/protect my tractor during the months of non use?
    Check your owner's manual for info on storing your tractor. They usuaully have a pretty thorough list of thing to do before you store it.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4330, 6 rear remotes

if you choose to leave the battery in, there are solar charger/desulphators you can use to keep it topped up ...batteryminder comes to mind

power service in the white bottle for the fuel and, as mentioned, keep all the tanks, jugs, jerrycans, whatever full so there is no condensation

maybe a project will be to bring electricity to your shed.

my guess is you won't have problems if you take the few simple precautions the posters have suggested. Don't overlook the comment about locking the clutch pedal down (disengaged) if your tractor, like mine, provides for that ...keeps the plates from rusting together.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1920

I was reading another thread about those solar battery chargers. I didn't know there was such a thing. Pretty cool.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1510

What is this Power Service in the white bottle that people speak of? I saw this referenced in another thread and didn't understand then and I still don't.

Are you guys pouring a little moonshine in your fuel tanks to keep moisture away?

Mike

Edit: Never mind - I found it. I Googled "Power Service fluid" before I posted and nothing related came back. After I posted that I changed the search term to just "Power Service" and found the whole line of products. Never heard of them before....

End Edit
    26 gal Femco 12v trailer sprayer
    2000 52" Great Dane Surfer (18hp Kohler Command)
    2010 John Deere Z920A 54" (26hp Kawasaki)

The decisions you make will determine whether you win... or lose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12