Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1920

Default What are your tractor winterizing tips/lessons learned.

This will be my first winter with a tractor in many years and my first ever with a diesel. I live in Tennessee so our winters are not quite as harsh as our northern neighbors but it can get pretty cold here in January. My tractor is located on another piece of property about 20 miles from my house so I won't be using my tractor very little or perhaps at all for about 3 months. The tractor stays covered in a small shed which is enclosed on three sides. There is no electricity in this shed for a block heater. What would you recommend I do to store/protect my tractor during the months of non use?

Tractor
    LS 5020c

Default Re: What are your tractor winterizing tips/lessons learned.

Most importantly for myself is getting the inline coolant heater in and having a means of plugging it in..but it gets real cold here and you mentioned not needed to start it for a few months...so secondly make sure your diesel tank is full( less likley to get water in the fuel via condesation)..I would also look at some kind of rodent deterrent if it is going to be sitting for that long...

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

Personally if it were mine, and being left sitting for 3 months, id pull the battery and place it on a trickle charger at home in the garage. Id keep the diesel topped off and thats about all i would do. you have it under cover and thats the best thing to do.
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1920

Would you recommend an additive to the fuel maybe like Sta-bil?

Tractor
    Kubota L3010DT, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Quote Originally Posted by grsthegreat View Post
    Personally if it were mine, and being left sitting for 3 months, id pull the battery and place it on a trickle charger at home in the garage. Id keep the diesel topped off and thats about all i would do. you have it under cover and thats the best thing to do.
    What he said.

If you do go out and run it make sure you give it enough of a workout to get it well warmed up and any condensation dryed out.
    "If you're not making any mistakes then you're not doing anything"

L3010DT, Farmi JL290 Winch, ATI Grapple, BearCat 5" Chipper, 6' Rear Blade,
    7' Sickle Bar, 5' Land Plane Grading Scraper, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

yep.. 3months of cold and no power or use?

take battery out and top off at home.. bring back when you need it. fuel fuel tank with something like power service white bottle in it... make sure you run it some like that to get the power service into the pump and injectors / lines.

make sure she is serviced and have no water in any of the 'oil' sumps... and make sure your coolant is up to snuff for the expected cold you are gonna get.. same with water ballasted tires.. make sure they are ready for the freeze...e tc.

for a starting aid on diesels.. I'd stay away from ether and use wd-40 instead...

if needed..

soundguy

Tractor
    kubota L3000dt, ford 8n1952

Most of it has been mentioned above. This year I added" install bag of mothballs under the dash and add small sack of fabric softener sheets under the hood". After a Pack-rat Totally ruined the wiring Harness on my Chevy hunting truck, I shutter to have it happen to the Kubota? I am planning a Mouse bucket too, as I cannot keep up with the De-con.
    Okay, Legal disclaimer: Old but not senile, definitely do not have the answer to everything!

Elite Member
    Tractor
    7040 HDC 1153 fel

as my tractor is used year round i dont do any winterizing more than normal things.

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Quote Originally Posted by bigbull338 View Post
    as my tractor is used year round i dont do any winterizing more than normal things.
    Something I learned the first winter I removed and stored my 7-Iron mower deck, CLEAN THE UNDERSIDE BEFORE YOU STORE IT, not in the springtime. I was too lazy to powerwash the underside the first fall I stored the deck, by the time spring came around the grass had hardened to the consistency of concrete, even with a power washer and a turbo nozzle it took forever to clean it. Doing the job in the fall takes a third of the time!!! TAKE HEED !!!!
    Rather than worry about the things you want but don't have, be grateful for the things you don't want and don't have.

I didn't plan to do much of anything today, but by noon I was almost half done.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    7040 HDC 1153 fel

yes if your storing a mower deck its smart to wash out from under it an on top of it.mine is a fullsize farm tractor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast