Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Resident Architect

Default What size solar panel to maintain batteries?

I'm looking to purchase a solar panel to keep by batteries at full charge for a piece of equipment which is stored in a remote location. This piece of machinery has a diesel 12v engine and two batteries. Typically, I'd use a 3amp battery maintainer. The solar panels are not rated in amps, but watts. How many watts do I need to maintain these batteries? In the winter, this panel will be covered with snow, so please take that into consideration. I'm currently thinking about a 15watt panel, but it says that a controller is required. When do I need a controller and why?
    Turbo Yanmar 1110d, 4wd, powershift, kwick-way loader SOLD
    1988 Waldon 5100, Cummins 4b SOLD
    1999 Gehl 6635

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4100 Hydro

Your 3 A 12V battery maintainer would be 36 watt max output. So if it had been sufficient in the past, I'd look for a 36 W panel. That doesn't take snow cover into account.
    Shouldn't you be at work?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD cut

Default Re: What size solar panel to maintain batteries?

A straight solar panel with no controller will continue to charge the battery even when it is at full charge, and end up overcharging it.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

in the end.. just about ANY positive current flow will keep a battery topped off. all you need to do is overcome quiescent discharge, which is typically in the milliamps at best.

I used to use one of those 9$ harbor freight panels that has a cig lighter adapter on it. thin is the size of a shoe box lid.. it kept my tractor batteries topped all year with -0- use in some cases.

snow will block it till it melts off.. it won't snow forever though...

soundguy

Tractor
    Kubota B3030 R4 Tires

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkeyok View Post
    A straight solar panel with no controller will continue to charge the battery even when it is at full charge, and end up overcharging it.
    That depends on the output voltage of the panel. If the panel's voltage is below the battery voltage, there would not be a current flow.
    Bob, n8zcc

Kubota B3030 with R4s
    LA403, 60" bucket with hooks, bolt-on tooth bar, ratchet rake
    BH76 with 16" bucket and thumb
    Kubota Pallet Folks
    Bush Hog 35-06 72" Rear Blade
    Bush Hog SBX60 Box Blade
    Bush Hog Razorback RZ160
    Kubota ZD323-60
    Kubota RTV900 with Curtis hydraulic angle plow

Tractor
    Kubota B3030 R4 Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Cord View Post
    I'm looking to purchase a solar panel to keep by batteries at full charge for a piece of equipment which is stored in a remote location. This piece of machinery has a diesel 12v engine and two batteries. Typically, I'd use a 3amp battery maintainer. The solar panels are not rated in amps, but watts. How many watts do I need to maintain these batteries? In the winter, this panel will be covered with snow, so please take that into consideration. I'm currently thinking about a 15watt panel, but it says that a controller is required. When do I need a controller and why?
    Look for a panel that can supply at least 12.6 volts DC, this is the threshold voltage of a fully charged lead acid battery. As far as current needs, parasitic loss of a typical lead acid battery depends on the type of battery and temperature, lead acid batteries have a parasitic loss somewhere between 1% to 60% rate per month. The warmer the temperature the battery is stored at increases the parasitic loss rate.

A panel that can produce between 12.6 and 14 volts DC with a current of a few hundred milli-amps will keep a lead acid battery topped off, provided the panel has adequate time exposure to the of light needed to produce power and there is no other current draw on the battery.
    Bob, n8zcc

Kubota B3030 with R4s
    LA403, 60" bucket with hooks, bolt-on tooth bar, ratchet rake
    BH76 with 16" bucket and thumb
    Kubota Pallet Folks
    Bush Hog 35-06 72" Rear Blade
    Bush Hog SBX60 Box Blade
    Bush Hog Razorback RZ160
    Kubota ZD323-60
    Kubota RTV900 with Curtis hydraulic angle plow

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kuborta B2400, L2900, L4330; Caterpillar D3B, John Deere 455D

I have two 15watt Battery Minder solar chargers that I got from RVupgrades online. One is attached to a John Deere 455D with two 12 volt batteries and one is attached to a Caterpillar D3B with two 12 volt batteries. Both work well, and the price is the best I could find for a panel and controller. I think one system would work for both machines, but they are located in different places so I got one for each.

Elite Member Redneck in training's Avatar
    Tractor
    TYM 330 HST with FEL

Quote Originally Posted by Cord View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-50032.../dp/B0006JO0X8
    Here is one.

You can get an inexpensive 5w panel and keep the battery topped off. I use one on my flatbed trailer to keep the winch battery (deep cycle) charged. Works great and does not require a controller. And if you orient it to the south equal to your latatude (sp.) the snow shouldn't be a problem.
    2008 JD 5103, FEL, 6' Frontier, 6' HD boxblade, 7' Landscape rake, More impliments to come, Bobcat (clark) 742 SS.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

I had a couple of 12 volt 15 watt panels and lent one to my brother in law to charge the battery on his Mule gate opener. It is patched in direct to the 12volt gate opener battery without a controller and has been in service for over 2 years and still works as required. I dont think these low wattage panels will overcharge a 12 volt battery.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast