what do you do for fuel storage?

/ what do you do for fuel storage? #1  

oldboyscout

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620
I've been using 5 gallon Jerricans and have tried all sorts of spouts and pumps. I'm considering a 15 gallon steel gravity feed tank now. Any downside to this?
What other options are there?

/ what do you do for fuel storage? #2  
OBS, depends on how much fuel your going thru. I personally have a steel 200 gal tank on stilts that my dealer fills about once a year. I have 2 tractors, 1 lawnmower, and a RTV that are all diesel. I got tired of buying my fuel in 5 gal containers when I traded my gas Ford 600 for a diesel tractor. Wasn't a problem when I only had the mower, but PIA with more usage. and truthfully, a 5gal can is about all I would want to try to LIFT to fill any machine. Check with some of the fuel dealers in your area, and see if they can supply a tank, or if they will fill a small tank that you own. Much simpler. Just remember to have filled in winter with cold weather additive to keep from gelling. ;)
One answer is to use a plastic 55gal (or 30gal) barrel. Some with pumps, and some up on stilts like mine. Some put this in & out of truck with FEL and fill at local station as needed.
Have seen many innovative solutions on this web site, and sure you will get many posts on this subject. No one answer for all, so pick one that is right for you.
Let us see the pictures of what you come up with. :D

/ what do you do for fuel storage? #3  
I use about 40gal of diesel per year and my local distributor gave me a used 55gallon steel oil drum that i use. It has a 2" threaded opening in the top that i bought a hand pump to fit it and it works pretty well. Transporting the drum is the only downside, its hard to strap down and is top heavy but it is better than going to the gas station all the time.

/ what do you do for fuel storage? #4  
Been looking for a way to store fuel at my house also. But since my Uncle is a farmer, I have been buying 10 gallons at a time off him till I find something for myself.

/ what do you do for fuel storage? #5  
I know a scrapper, and there are obviously some added hassles in selling old fuel tanks for scrap, so he asked me one day if I wanted these two 115 gallon semi tanks he had. Heck yeah! I have a hand pump that works great. The local fuel company has a truck come through a couple times a week, and if you want 100+ gallons, free delivery.

/ what do you do for fuel storage? #6  
I don't use much fuel, maybe 25 or so gallons per year. I just tap off the heating oil supply down in the basement into a 5-gallon can (installed a valve and tee for this purpose).:)

/ what do you do for fuel storage? #7  
Im trying to find a 50-100 gal diesel tank with electric pump for a reasonable $$$$, but no luck yet. Id just load/unload it on a pallet with forks... and haul to station to fill.

/ what do you do for fuel storage?
cool some interesting ideas. I did figure I would use the loader to put it on and off the trailer to go and fill up. I guess a 30 gal drum and pump may not be a bad idea. The tank I'm looking at is 120$ at TSC. 15 gallons would hold me for a few months, maybe 6 depending on how much seat time I can steal.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/vehicl...onal-fuel-station-can-15-gal-capacity-3950115
looks like I'd have to weld some eyes to the top for convenience with the loader.
and yes pouring from 5gallon jerrycans is a pain.

/ what do you do for fuel storage? #9  
I found the pouring was the downside of 5 gal jugs (I used jugs from Jegs) and my solution was to buy a barrel pump/siphon (see Unisan 423 Siphon Drum Pump for 15/30/55 Gallon )

I cut the siphon/pump down (on a slant) to reach to the bottom of the jug/jerrycan ...then I hoist up the container to sit on the tractor hood, near the filler, and with a pump or two the siphon action starts and nearly all the fuel siphons quickly into the tractor tank. (the slant cut lets the siphon flow cut off before sucking up the dregs from the bottom, which is where water will accumulate, if any)

Now, I mostly use a 40 gal fuel transfer tank w. 12v electric pump w. auto-shutofff (and a 20 ft. hose) I have one transfer tank in my pickup and one in the carport. The pickup tank is mounted solid, but I believe I will unbolt, mount on a pallet, and fork off the truck so I can have the full bed.

/ what do you do for fuel storage? #10  
we use a 100 gallon diesel tank that fitts in the truck bed.maybe those of you looking for fuel tanks should check out TSC as they have 60 to 120 gallon tanks.