Battery maintenance

/ Battery maintenance #1  

jem041279

Bronze Member
Tractor
2011 Kubota L3940 4x4 w/ FEL & John Deere 750
LSU, LSU, LSU..... Sry could not resist as I just finished watching the game, now on to business, I am thinking of installing a 2 amp charger on my L 3940. I plan on bolting it in place somehow so I can just plug it in when I feel I need to. My question is due to my job working offshore, I may be gone for a week or two at a time and was wondering would it be ok to leave it charging for that long?

/ Battery maintenance #2  
Get you a trickle charger. They are more like 1/2 to 1 amp and some will kick on and off. 2 amps is kind of big running 24/7.

/ Battery maintenance #4  
I've got the tender jr and regular tender and the save a battery chargers...

They all work well and I highly recommend any of them.

The marine versions cost a little more and are better protected from the elements and impact as it was told to me.

/ Battery maintenance #5  
I kept a battery tender on my Harley for years.

/ Battery maintenance #7  
LSU, LSU, LSU..... Sry could not resist as I just finished watching the game, now on to business, I am thinking of installing a 2 amp charger on my L 3940. I plan on bolting it in place somehow so I can just plug it in when I feel I need to. My question is due to my job working offshore, I may be gone for a week or two at a time and was wondering would it be ok to leave it charging for that long?

Depends. A float charger is good indefinitely, but a trickle charger will overcharge a battery eventually. Buy a Deltran Battery Tender - they're good for just about any situation. If you only need a charger for storage maintenance, then just get a float charger from Harbor Freight for $6. I have a half-dozen batteries (including my tractor) plugged in pretty much full time using the cheapo HF float chargers.

JayC

/ Battery maintenance
Thanks for reply fellows I will look for a float charger

/ Battery maintenance #9  
Do not forget your 20 percent off coupon at HF. I have not looked at the tools that work list and wonder if this charger is on it.

/ Battery maintenance #10  
if tractor is going to set a long time. i would advise pulling it from tractor, and setting it a piece of wood up on a shelf. as long as not on floor. and putting automatic charger that turns on/off on its own.