Thumb Vs FEL Forks for firewood

/ Thumb Vs FEL Forks for firewood #1  

Dougw133

Bronze Member
I plan to heat my home on only wood. I have a log splitter and have been cutting and splitting wood for years. I am trying to finalize my decisions on my new tractor. What is more useful for moving logs around for firewood processing, the backhoe thumb or some FEL forks? I like the idea of holding a log up in the air with the backhoe and cutting it up from there, but it seems to me the fel forks would be much quicker in moving things around. Anyone use something similar or have any input?

/ Thumb Vs FEL Forks for firewood #2  
I plan to heat my home on only wood. I have a log splitter and have been cutting and splitting wood for years. I am trying to finalize my decisions on my new tractor. What is more useful for moving logs around for firewood processing, the backhoe thumb or some FEL forks? I like the idea of holding a log up in the air with the backhoe and cutting it up from there, but it seems to me the fel forks would be much quicker in moving things around. Anyone use something similar or have any input?

I have both and use the forks the most. That in part is due to the fact that I have a 3pt splitter so I don't have BH on when I'm doing firewood. I do use the BH thumb when I'm clearing brush and downed trees. Forks are just plain handy for lots of jobs and I think everyone should have a set.

/ Thumb Vs FEL Forks for firewood
Thanks for the reply...Good point. I wondered too as I typicall stack my firewood on pallets to season, if I could just strap the wood down and move the pallets around with the forks.

/ Thumb Vs FEL Forks for firewood #4  
Use the search function with the keywords forks pallet and firewood and you will find lots of discussions and lots of ideas.

Good luck!

/ Thumb Vs FEL Forks for firewood #5  
Did you ever think of a thumb on the bucket...that with a tooth bar is pretty handy for moving logs.A lot more control than forks.

/ Thumb Vs FEL Forks for firewood
Did you ever think of a thumb on the bucket...that with a tooth bar is pretty handy for moving logs.A lot more control than forks.

I searched it but didn't find one..That would be great.

/ Thumb Vs FEL Forks for firewood #7  
Mine is a Green's Machine Thumb..there are several more ,Anabo?

/ Thumb Vs FEL Forks for firewood #8  
Like this

Attachments

• with grapple.jpg
    with grapple.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 686
   / Thumb Vs FEL Forks for firewood #9  
fire wood splitter? or fire wood processor?

processor, being lot bigger and costlier. and more likely has a way to lift logs up onto the table to be cut / split and sent off to a pile.

=============
3pt hitch forks. would more likely provide most lifting power. vs FEL.
front forks that you remove front bucket and install forks would be next.
clamp on forks for front bucket, least powerful.
backhoe with thumb. you will more likely see less powerful.

when i saw power, i mean actual lifting lbs.

=============
are you just pushing a log this way or that way to cut it up?
are you dragging trees up and out of the wood and to a central spot to be cut at a later date?
are you just cutting trees down and splitting were they fell?
are you needing to raise any logs or like up any sort of distance? couple inches? couple feet? 4 feet? to either cut or stack things?

=============

sorry for asking questions, but i am assuming you have your routine down. what works for you with how you do things? do you have a friend you do 50/50 with cutting / splitting / etc.. for firewood? just you?