On scale of 1 to stupid - bent root ripper

/ On scale of 1 to stupid - bent root ripper #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
Digging out stump in picture with root ripper and the front pin slipped out of one side. Before I noticed it, I had put enough torque on the ripper to bend the plate on the opposite side enough so I couldn't drive the pin back in. I hadn't put the retainer bolts through the pin, because I was in a hurry and they were a tight fit. What a dumb move.

I'm hoping the root ripper plate can be straightened. Otherwise it was a $400 stupid move. I guess I'm lucky I didn't harm the BH. Hoping my experience will keep someone else from making the same mistake.

Attachments

• bigstump.jpg
    bigstump.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 932
   / On scale of 1 to stupid - bent root ripper #2  
I'm hoping the root ripper plate can be straightened. Otherwise it was a $400 stupid move.

Sounds like a job for a torch and sledgehammer. If it bent, it'll bend back :).

JayC

/ On scale of 1 to stupid - bent root ripper #3  
it was a $400 stupid move.

Yeah, but I bet you won't do that no more.
Best kind of experience, the kind that comes out of the hip pocket.
I'm not making fun. I have a lot of that kind of experience.;)

/ On scale of 1 to stupid - bent root ripper
Sounds like a job for a torch and sledgehammer. If it bent, it'll bend back :).

JayC

I hope so. I don't have torches and have had this welding shop bend other parts for me.

Yeah, but I bet you won't do that no more.
Best kind of experience, the kind that comes out of the hip pocket.
I'm not making fun. I have a lot of that kind of experience.;)

Well I hope I've learned. There is an old thread on here about dumb things you've done while using your tractor and I have an entry there. I was moving my 3pt splitter across the yard, so didn't put pins in the arms. It was just a few feet and didn't think anything would move. One arm came off and the splitter fell to one side and really bent the legs. It was wedged against the tire and I had to take the frame apart to get everything upright. You'd think I would learn the importance of pins/bolts...

/ On scale of 1 to stupid - bent root ripper #6  
Well I hope I've learned....... You'd think I would learn the importance of pins/bolts...
Good luck with all that.
I've been 30 some years trying to do just that. Just sayin!

/ On scale of 1 to stupid - bent root ripper #7  
I've done things like that..it happens ...don't be too hard on yourself...just goes with the territory...

Agree...I have a favorite saying...."the only people who don't (bleep) up are the people who never do anything".

Thank you for sharing your story, because you may prevent another TBN member from doing the same thing. Some people are afraid to reveal they screwed up, but when I do, I inform others because it may help prevent others from doing the same thing.

Anybody want to hear how I was in a hurry, and dropped my loader in a soft, uneven spot?

Whe I tried to reinstall it, I was in a hurry then too, and the main frame arms came down atop my footrests BEHIND the horizontal mounts. A TEN-PLUS on the stupid scale....NEVER AGAIN !!!

/ On scale of 1 to stupid - bent root ripper #8  
Leaving pins out could get a guy killed I suppose. Left the lynch pin off the right side 3 point arm that would be holding a 7 foot box scraper on the tractor one time, I had lost it in the tall grass. Drove the tractor about 200 feet with scraper off the ground, in order to get fuel in the tractor at shop. YES----I did fuel up, but forgot that lynch pin. Started to scrape some uneven ground nearby, and something told me to stop. When I did, the thing had come off the right side, twisted around and was climbing up the back of the left rear tire of my old JD 630. A couple more feet forward, that box scraper would have been into my back, it happens fast. A few bent parts, no big thing, but sure scared this old guy.

/ On scale of 1 to stupid - bent root ripper #9  
Yall really need to take some operating lessons or something. I have never done anything like that.:D:D

Well there was one time I caught an old fence in a wheel rake in a hay field. That was not real pretty. I may leave some grass around the edges, but I will NEVER do that again.:D

/ On scale of 1 to stupid - bent root ripper #10  
No biggie.

Torches will bend it back. Worse case is a new piece of plate and a few hours labour.