What Should I Charge??

/ What Should I Charge?? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I am going to do some work with my Kubota B2910 this summer. I have gotten a call from a man that said he needed a lot of work done. From what I have heard the man has had a blatter transplant and cannot do work himself. He also works 12 hour days about an hour away from here. He doesn't have much time to do the work himself. The work ranged from cutting wood and hauling back to york raking his yard and cleaning up. We are suppose to meet on Saturday and discuss a price for the machine work. What is a price that I should be looking for? From what I hear some of the work is pretty hard. Any ideas would be great.

/ What Should I Charge??
When the village hires a backhoe FEL to dig up and repair water main breaks the usual rate, we only have 2 or 3 available contractors, is $150- $200 for the equipment to be delivered plus $40 per hour for the machine operator plus $10-$20 per hour for laborer. So an 10 hour day= $200+$400+$200=$800. The second day would be $600 as the equipment is already there. This is for unplanned emergency work, planned work may be less or by the job and not hourly.
I consider this to be very skilled use of a backhoe. An operator can really make a mess around water mains. The predicament yuor neighbor is in shold not change the value of your time or skill needed to do the work. I know that raking is not as hard as digging but moving tree limbs does require skill and caution. Hope this sheds some light on your situation.

/ What Should I Charge?? #3  
It all depends on your area. The places I've been you would probably get $20-50/ hour for your tractor work. This is actual machine hours, not the hours you are there. For general labor, albeit hard work, if a guy was making $10-12/hour he'd be darn happy.

Also remember if you are doing work for hire you better have insurance. You are personally and financially liable for anything that happens.

/ What Should I Charge?? #4  
There's a few ways to look at this...

First, you need to determine what's it gonna cost you to do the work ( fuel, maintenence, damage potential, lost time ) ???

Next, what's the potential for unknown costs ( damage to his property etc. )

Then, Do you feel you need to make money on this project ??

If you do, be careful that you don't open yourself up to liability. In general, if you are not in business ( not earning money ) you are probably covered under your general homeowners policy in the event you crush the guys garage. If you are earning money, you're in business and you need a business policy. BE CAREFUL.

Maybe the guy would be willing to buy you an attachment as compensation ?? I'd avoid the cash / check payment whenever possible.

Just a thought.

SORRY TO STEP ON YOU COWBOYDOC...I DONT TYPE THAT FAST !!

/ What Should I Charge?? #5  
$40-50/hr!!!!! for the tractor work.

/ What Should I Charge?? #6  
If you dont know him very well and you dont know your capabilities, I wouldnt charge by the hour but more by the job.

Set it up as many seperate jobs, to limit your risk, dont bunch everything together in one bill.

if he needs 5 face cord of wood cut and stacked, just concentrate on getting that done, bill him and if he pays in a timely manner, set up your next job.

You are the labor bank and he needs to establish a credit history IMO.

please fill out you profile.

/ What Should I Charge?? #7  
you really need to deterime the cost to u in tractor wear and tear, plus your time and the type of work to be done.also keep in mind that once u are working for compensation u need to have more and better insurance. better to think of these things BEFORE u do any work. my $.02

/ What Should I Charge??
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Also remember if you are doing work for hire you better have insurance. You are personally and financially liable for anything that happens. )</font>

We own a construction business. We have insurance on the tractor, bobcat, backhoe, loader, and tractor and trailer. I am very well covered with insurance.

/ What Should I Charge?? #9  
I get a skilled operator and a Cat D6 dozer for $50/hour. The delivery charged is waived if I order up a load of stone for the drive or parking area at the same time ("The dump truck's coming out, anyway"). While I think that's a great deal, I still think it might give you some guide to work with.

/ What Should I Charge?? #10  
<font color="blue">…What is a price that I should be looking for? From what I hear some of the work is pretty hard…

We own a construction business…</font>

Maybe, there is something here I missed…? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

How do you charge people in your construction company…?