Case 644, 646, 648

/ Case 644, 646, 648 #1  

Propliner

Tractor
1986 Ford LGT-18H
What are your opinions on these neat little garden tractor loaders? For those of you who don't know, I work at a dealer for Zero-Turn mowers and hand-held powered yard tools, not to mention Steiner and Ventrac. We have a loader from both Steiner and Ventrac, but I haven't ever used either with a bucket. I have driven around the auger on both the Ventrac and Steiner, but I have yet to convince my boss to put the bucket on the loader and try it out. He and everyone else at work say loaders on the Steiners and Ventracs tend not to work to well, due to the fact that they can easily roll over on our hilly terrain. The Ventrac loader is rated for 500lb., while the Steiner is rated for only 365lb. Anyway, I looked at loaders on Ford 1100 and 1200 tractors, but I hadn't really considered a garden tractor with a loader. All I had seen where some mounted on various Cub Cadet's and John Deere's. Most were built by Danco and could only lift 300lb.

I recently got the Garden Tractors book, which covers most US manufacturers of garden tractors for as long as they have been around. These little Cases really intrigue me. What is one of these worth as just the loader (no Backhoe)? How reliable are they? Are they easy to maintain? What maintenance have you done on yours?

Because I was interested in them, I have tried to get some dates and information together.
644 14hp. 2-cyl Kohler, Built 1972-1980
646 16hp. 2-cyl Kohler, Built 1972-1981
648 18hp. 2-cyl Kohler, Built 1980-19??
The 648 carried over to Ingersoll-Rand correct? Then it became the 6018, but when was the model number change made? And how long did IR build that unit? Were there any other garden tractor loaders built by IR?

Lots of questions, but hopefully you guys have lots of answers! BTW, I wont be getting into the landscaping business for some years, just trying to get an idea of what would be good to start out with.

/ Case 644, 646, 648 #2  
Sorry don't have many answers, only comments on the Steiner and Ventrac because that is what I have experience with.

I have used the loader with bucket on the Ventrac and it performed fantastically (dealer had a demo.) You are correct that it may be more prone to rolling on a hill due to the design of a center articulating unit, but to say they can easily roll would be the result of improper operator use. Sounds to me that your boss has heard stories from people that did not operate their machinery properly. If you carry the loader load low all the time during slope transport (decreasing load weight depending on how big the hill is), have the proper counterweight, and turning at an appropriate pace, you greatly reduce any risk of rolling (these precautions should be used with any loader on a slope, not just a center articulating one.) I know you aren't supposed to used the duals with the Ventrac loader, probably due to axle weight, but I am sure that would help a lot and wouldn't be a problem as long as you aren't lifting really heavy loads.

In the end, if I did a lot of work with a loader and that is the main purpose, I would probably not get a Ventrac Loader due to its articulating frame. But for my purpose, I have found that I never need to lift high and the scoop works perfectly for me. I can go on hills that no other loader can go on with the scoop and duals, I can lift 700lbs of material, and can do it faster with minimal turf damage than anyone with a loader. (Still keeping in mind proper counterweight and operational procedure.) In the end, these units aren't built to be your traditional CUT, they are very versatile in deed, but they really excel in other areas first, loader last.

/ Case 644, 646, 648 #3  
This is my friend Harry with his 646 loading trailers for our atv club.No idea what loader it has but it lifts alot
ALAN

Attachments

• Bridge July 2010 006.jpg
    Bridge July 2010 006.jpg
    793.8 KB · Views: 2,309
   / Case 644, 646, 648 #4  
Harry has a weight box on the back of his ,i believe he built it.I used the tractor alot before i bought mine its very stable.It his a basic early hydrostatic tranny and is 2 wd.Harrys tractor is tired but still goes.Ithink hes had it for at least 25 years or more.Kind of heavy too.
ALAN

/ Case 644, 646, 648 #5  
I bought one from a buddy who bought it new, 16 hp kohler, it was a beast, My buddy lifted the back of an old Chrysler to put blocks under it. It was bought with a hyd. tiller and rear remote for shop built log splitter. I used it to landscape around a new house in 1992 and worked the heck out of it. I also used it it for a large garden and hauling basement dirt all over the 2 acres andcleared 150 ft of driveway in the winter. Also used it in town for several years in town moving snow for several years before moving into the country. When building our house we built a rackon the bucket and lifted 4 pieces of plywood at a time laying in front of the bucket longways onto the roof to save shoving it up by hand. I sold it in 98 after rebuilding the engine when we moved 150 miles north.I wish I had kept it now. John

/ Case 644, 646, 648 #6  
They were just Ingersoll no rand , try googleing that. The kohler engine in mine constantly overheated also.

/ Case 644, 646, 648
First, thank you guys for all of your advice. First about the compact articulating loaders. I really would like to run one, to see what it can really do. We just rented our Ventrac 4231 Turbo Diesel with duals and the loader and auger attachment to a guys just down the road for post holes. He said it worked fine, but he wasn't on a huge hill, and of course wasn't lifting and hauling anything. Someday maybe this summer, I will put the loader on and see what it can do. I was checking the bucket out the other day, there aren't even any scratches on it, never used to even rent or demo! Proper wight balance is another thing that I will try to watch for.

As for the Case units, I appreciate all of the feedback. I found my years and dates on the Case Garden Tractor Yahoo group. You say the engine over heated? Did Case and Ingersoll use the V-twin or Magnum? My 1987 Ford LGT-18H has a Magnum in it, it has some governor issues that I am working on now but other than that it is great. Sounds like the Case has some pretty impressive lifting power. Thanks everyone and keep the comments coming.

/ Case 644, 646, 648
For those who are interested:
Case 644, Built 1972-1979
Case 646, Built 1972-1980
Case 648, Built 1980-1988
Ingersoll 6018, Built 1989-(?)
Ingersoll 6020, Built 1997-(?)
Ingersoll 7020, Built (?)-(?)

The list on the Yahoo group stops at 2000. Post if you can fill in the blanks.

/ Case 644, 646, 648 #9  
Ihis is my 2nd 646 ,why i sold the first am not sure?I am 75 and have been operateing equipment 60 yrs,the 646 is one of the toughest front end loaders I know of! Mine has ag 50% tires loaded pluse ahome made balist box ,it will fill the bucket no problem. I reduce tire presure douwnto 5 or 6 psi. One thing to check-On the shifter plate there is a small bushing that wears out 5/16 id X 1/2 od x1/4 long , Tough to change but give you just as much revers as forward - speed and power!!

/ Case 644, 646, 648
Thanks for your reply Bowles! That is some good stuff you are saying about the little Case loaders! I still have yet to try out a loader on the Steiner or Ventrac yet at work, but that day will come. I figured a ballast box would be useful on any tractor loader, I'll also keep my eye out for that bushing if I find one some day.