Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_X485, JD_425, JD_455, JD_110

Default Re: Dragging trees. Possible?

There are several threads that address your need to drag out trees and logs. Lots of suggestions and lots of safety concerns, as it should be.
    The attached pic is how I move logs with an I-match, and logging tongs. Yesterday I hooked onto a similar white oak log as the one shown, which was 18" on the small end and 16' long. I felt it was pushing the limits of what I wanted to put my JD4300 with HST through, but still it handled it without a hint of making the front end light (had FEL on). The woods is a bit muddy now, and adds to the difficulty a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 790, JD 6420

I have moved a lot of trees with the JD 790 and quick hitch like the I-Match ... I have never had the front end even come close to lifting but, be careful and go easy and don't lift the log very much, just clear the ground a few inches and again go slow. You can hook the log without getting off the tractor, This works great and is a much easlier pull than a chain .... I think that I must have seen "BEENTHERE's" pictures and tried his approach.
    Leo

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    5300 JD 4X4

I do quite a bit of logging with mine. Just cut your timber to a size that your tractor can handle easily, you won't have a problem. I wound up builing a winch that works great. If you do any yarding I would reccomend one.

Tractor
    Kubota 3830

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. Sounds like it is a do able project.

Colin--

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS for work in the woods

This may be overkill for just 15 trees, but several companies do make specialized logging winches for use with CUTs and larger tractors. Lots of advantages over a simple logging chain, but at +/- $2000, you probably need an ongoing use for them to make it worthwhile. I'm debating purchasing one myself.

Check out Farmi Logging Winch. For the HP you mentioned, you would probably be looking at the model 290 or 351.

John Mc

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 4400 w/R-1 & R-3

John_Mc, I agree,best way to drag trees. Haven't used one personally, but have used skidders and looking at a farmi now for JD4400. Not that you couldn't but with winch on back with pusher plate it would be difficult to tip over backwards. Just like a skidder you can leave logs,drive ahead,up a hill, what ever, then winch logs up and continue. My checking puts Farmi at top of list.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3000

I have an old Farmi JL250 winch on the back of a kubota L3000DT, which originally was on my 8N. I think it is one of the best ways to pull logs around in the woods.

It will lift the end of the log or logs off the ground making pulling easier. I never use the winch cable to hold the log while driving the tractor, I always use the chain attachments built into my winch.

These chain points are below the drawbar height which makes tipping unlikely and the winch bottom would contact the ground should the front of the tractor start to lift.

These units are not cheap I paid $900.00 for mine new almost 25 years ago, now they are a bit more. I have not seen too many used units on the market either. There are more choices now than before, Norse and Farmi were the two main suppliers.

I have been looking at the ATV log haulers that Nova Jack and Bailey's Online offers, there are a few others also. They have models which have hydraulic log loaders down to hand operarted winch models. They range from less than $1,500 to just under $10,000. One nice feature on some of the less expensive models is you can convert them into a dump trailer with a box they offer and use them for many tasks.

Randy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12