Dragging trees. Possible?

/ Dragging trees. Possible? #1  

7sam15

Tractor
Kubota 3830
Is it possible to drag fallen Douglas Fir trees with a compact tractor (I’m looking in the 30 –35 PTO HP range). I would need to drag the trees out of my woods, across a creek and up a 8 acre slope to my shop. I have about 15 trees to fall and drag.

What is a safe method for attaching the log to the tractor? How much HP is required? Is this a good idea?

Colin--

/ Dragging trees. Possible? #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is it possible to drag fallen Douglas Fir trees with a compact tractor )</font>

Yes, if they aren't too big. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Impossible to give a definitive answer without knowing how big those trees are. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've drug a lot of trees with a B7100 and a B2710, but I've also hooked onto a couple that I couldn't pull; had to get a neighbor's bigger tractor.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What is a safe method for attaching the log to the tractor )</font>

Unless you have specialized equipment, they can be attached using chain or cables, and should be attached below the level of the rear axle, which generally means to the "swinging drawbar"; i.e., the drawbar sticking straight out behind the tractor and attached to the bottom of the rear differential.

/ Dragging trees. Possible? #3  
I've both pushed and pulled about 50 trees with my little JD4200. Chaining to drawbar is best as Bird says. I've often just pushed with bottem end of tree in loader, down low. I did this for a couple of reasons: too lazy to go get chain, more maneuvarability pushing (I have a lot of trees to go around), the challenge, and because it worked. Largest tree I dragged (using chain) was about 18 inch at base, oak, about 40 foot long. I dragged it to creek, threw chain across, then pulled it over to make a crude foot bridge. Kids love it. I was near limit (probably well past it) of tractor.

So yes, you can drag trees. My terrain is fairly flat and easy with only trees to avoid. Small place, 6-1/2 acres, so short distances only.

Something to consider if your going to be sawing wood, dragging it will press a lot of sand and dirt into bark, which may not do your saw any good.

/ Dragging trees. Possible? #4  
I have dragged lots of trees while I was clearing my land. I started using a strap and quickly realized that was not the best idea and started using chain. Worked much better. What are your plans for the wood? If you are going to do any work with them I would not drag them. I would cut them to length and put them in the bucket. Forks for your bucket would help also.

Steve

/ Dragging trees. Possible? #5  
u should be able to drag a good size tree with 35 hp, just make sure u look on low and go slow, if that tree digs in u colud have the occasion to mess ur pants if u are going to fast.

/ Dragging trees. Possible? #6  
I dragged several trees of my property last year with my baby BX. Only had to take one extra step - after felling the ~18" dia trees, had to fire up the chain saw a second time and cut the trees roughly in half. Kept tranny in turtle gear, 4 wheel drive engaged, and chain attached down low on trailer hitch. No problem. Dragged the trees ~500 ft to a large ditch, removed the chain, and turned around with the FEL and pushed 'em in. Neighbors who were helping me couldn't believe that little 'toy' could do that. Made me proud.
RET

/ Dragging trees. Possible? #7  
If you can get one end of the log off the ground you will not furrow your field quite so much. I built a trailer like device that lifts the log off the ground so it doesn't drag on the ground.

If you only have 15 trees then you probably will end up with maybe 3 logs per tree which means 45 trips across the stream and field. These log transport devices can be purchased from a couple different sources.

There are several companies which make logging equipment for ATV's which would work quite well behind a compact tractor also. Some of them are reasonably priced, the one I made cost me about $60.00 for the steel tubing.

Randy

/ Dragging trees. Possible? #9  
I've dragged one or two with a B7100 HST. I hook up to the three point hitch and lift to give the rear tires more traction. But I also fill up the front bucket with as many rocks as I can to keep the front end on the ground. So far the tires spin before the front starts to lift. Some have gone up a 20 degree slope at full throttle and dead slow with no problems. These were 20 in. Diam. by 30 ft pine.

Egon

/ Dragging trees. Possible? #10  
I dragged a few trees with my little JD 4200 (under 30 HP) last fall with no difficulty at all. I even had to attach to the front bumper and back my way out a couple times and still no problems at all. I used chain just wrapped a couple times around one end and it did just fine. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif