Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Bucket Edge

Cutting edges for compact tractor loaders may not be created from the same type of material as the large equipment uses.

Egon

Hi,

THere was a post here somewhere a while back that showed 2x4 or 2x6 pieces bolted on the sides of the bucket, to work as runners and keep the cutting edge slightly above the paved surface...

Seemed like a good idea. Something that would both save wear and tear on the bucket cutting edge AND the paved surface as well.

Not sure what the thread was titled though....

rancar,

Looks like we may have the same bucket. I'd like to add the toothbar and cutting edge at the same time. Do you know suppliers and part numbers for both? Thanks.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3710 HST and a Kubota ZD21 60Pro

Before I took delivery of my L3710 I had the kubota dealer add an 8" cutting edge cut down from Bobcat stock. It significantly stiffened up the 72" bucket and is reversible if I ever wear it out. 3 years and 400 hours later it shows no wear. I've seen some stock buckets bent to heck and worn out after a few hundred hrs of rental use. It was very cheap insurance, ~$150 installed.

Tractor
    Kubota M9000 Hyd Kubota M105 shuttle

Soon to be not tractorless:

Go to your local road commission or local highway department and ask them if you can have a worn out edge bar from one of their scraper blades. Most of the time, they will give it to you for the asking as they scrap them anyway. You will have to shorten it to fit the bucket, but the steel they use in their wear bars is of a very high abrasion resistant steel. It will outlast your new tractor and probably will outlast you. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Daryl
    Forage Services, L.P.

On my JD 70 FEL, when the edge wears down, I take my MIG welder, load it with Stainless Steel feed wire, and weave a bead across the worn edge. I then take a grinder and sharpen it up real nice. I use the SS wire because it is much harder than regular steel. I use the same trick for the teeth on my backhoe. It works great, and it looks good.
    k2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12