Bucket Edge

/ Bucket Edge #1  

Anonymous Poster

I would like to to protect the factory-new edge of my FEL bucket. A toothbar has been strongly recommended, and I intend to get one. But initially, I'll be using the FEL for relatively light landscaping and garden work, so I'm wondering if something less aggressive might be in order. And while the cost of a toothbar is not huge, a less expensive alternative wouldn't be a bad idea, given the recent outlay for the tractor etc.

So- /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
How much should I expect to pay for a straight cutting edge?
Where would be the best source for one?
Can this be a bolt on addition, allowing it to be removed and swapped for a toothbar?
Am I completely off base?

I'll take delivery in about a week and a half, so I may have an oportunity to take care of this before I even scratch the paint /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif but I would rather wait and do it right than jump in and get it wrong.

/ Bucket Edge
Hi,

It seems very fitting that tractorlessSacto would be looking for a toothlessbar... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Bucket Edge #3  
No you are not off base, It is a very popular addition on frontend loaders. All you need is a piece of blank cutting edge stock. I doubt your Kubota Dealer will have it, but if you get in the yellow pages under heavy equipment repair, or your local heavy yellow dealers, or even a Bobcat type dealer you should be able to find a light duty(to them, not to you) piece of edge. When I worked for FNH back in the 80's we sold one that was about 85" long by 4" for about $100.

/ Bucket Edge
Do what I did, go to your local snow plow dealer and pick up a plow cutting edge. Easy to bolt on, and not that expensive..

/ Bucket Edge
Don't most loader buckets come with an edge already welded (or bolted) on??? When it wears down, it gets cut off and a new one welded on.

You wouldn't maybe want to weld or bolt a cutting edge onto a loader bucket that already has a cutting edge on it.

Not sure what you are buying, so i don't know.

--->Paul

/ Bucket Edge #6  
He's picking up a Kubota, and will have to change his username /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

Yeah, the Kubota loaders do have a replacable cutting edge. I don't see how adding another one would hurt, but I never did on mine and it is doing just fine. On the other hand, there's no way I'd suggest that tractorless do *anything* to hurt his new baby /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

/ Bucket Edge #7  
Personally I wouldn't worry about edge. It will probably outlive you. I was concerned when I got my JD 3 years ago. Since I don't have a box blade, I use fel for all leveling including 500 foot of limestone drive. I friend of mine with a small business only used his fel for leveling his parking lot, which was shell and limestone and gets a lot of heavy use. Said in ten years he can't see much wear. That put me at ease. Yeah it will wear a little. Paint will definitely come off.

/ Bucket Edge #8  
<font color="blue">"...Can this be a bolt on addition, allowing it to be removed and swapped for a toothbar?..."</font>

See both the bolt on cutting edge and bolt on toothbar that's on my JD bucket in the attachment. No need for swapping. Both can be installed at same time.

...Bob

Attachments

• 251737-HDbucket-HDtoothbar.jpg
    251737-HDbucket-HDtoothbar.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 369
   / Bucket Edge #9  
If you are going to use the FEL for snow removal on paved surfaces you should definitely consider a bolt on cutting edge. This was my first winter plowing snow with a NH 1920 with 68" wide bucket and there is significant wear on the welded cutting edge. Probably 100 times more than was done in the dirt. Hope this helps, Bill C

/ Bucket Edge #10  
Same story here; the outside edges took a real beating on the driveway this winter.