PULLING

/ PULLING #81  
Guilty.

But I have seen how fast they can flip and I've also seen how slow a 3pt drops.
So I just put 2 and 2 together and came up with 3. ;)

I always have the relief valve wide open when using the 3pt for pulling. With the relief valve open my L4400 will drop the 3pt so fast that the front wheels will slam on the ground if elevated. As fast, if not faster, than disengaging the clutch. :shocked:

The dead pulling traction/power of the tractor is compounded dramatically when the load is placed 100% on the rear tires by elevating the front. That's why I like hooking to the 3pt. I can, if needed, transfer all that traction to the rear and use the front weight of the tractor to start the load, then lower the 3pt enough to allow steering once I've started moving. Safely done when in the hands of an experienced operator. Not for the faint at heart. :)

/ PULLING #82  
This whole thread reminds me of my dad pulling a big old cottonwood tree stump. Had the 930 Case pulling on a 1 inch cable. Down in 2nd gear, 18.4-34 duals on, 18ft field cultivator hung on the 3pt, rock box on the front with about 50 5lb window weights in the box, then filled with rocks. Front end came up and he spun out. Another guy came up behind the stump with a 460 IH and bucket to push. They got'er done. But the cable started with a 6 foot loop through a clevis to the drawbar. At the end it was tight on the clevis and they had to take the clamp loose to unhook it. When the clamp slid up the cable it looked like a kid's July 4th sparkler set off. The guy on the 460 owned the cable and he said it had never been pulled quite that hard. :thumbsup:

/ PULLING #83  
This whole thread reminds me of my dad pulling a big old cottonwood tree stump. Had the 930 Case pulling on a 1 inch cable. Down in 2nd gear, 18.4-34 duals on, 18ft field cultivator hung on the 3pt, rock box on the front with about 50 5lb window weights in the box, then filled with rocks. Front end came up and he spun out. Another guy came up behind the stump with a 460 IH and bucket to push. They got'er done. But the cable started with a 6 foot loop through a clevis to the drawbar. At the end it was tight on the clevis and they had to take the clamp loose to unhook it. When the clamp slid up the cable it looked like a kid's July 4th sparkler set off. The guy on the 460 owned the cable and he said it had never been pulled quite that hard. :thumbsup:

Great story!! The Safety Police are gonna be all over it though!!! ;)

/ PULLING #84  
Great story!! The Safety Police are gonna be all over it though!!! ;)

Bah, let'em come. :laughing: This was 30 years ago. The 930 was sold in '84 and my dad passed a couple months ago. And I ain't gonna tell who the other guy was.

They followed the "rules" for pulling. The cultivator was just additional ballast, wasn't in use for the pull. That old 930 sat with the fronts off the ground just a foot or so and spun. It didn't ever give up easily. There are bigger tractors out there, but I doubt any had any more heart than that one.

/ PULLING #86  
Was his name Ray???:D

No, it was Stan. But that's as far as I'm going. :laughing:

It was one of those church projects where all the farmers got involved to get stuff done. In this case, remove a grove of mostly dead trees.

/ PULLING #87  
No, it was Stan. But that's as far as I'm going. :laughing:

It was one of those church projects where all the farmers got involved to get stuff done. In this case, remove a grove of mostly dead trees.

That's partly what's wrong with America today. Not enough projects like that!!! Everyone's afraid someone might get hurt and sue or get mad because a group of people are doing something GOOD. My Brother recently removed a couple dead trees from his Church yard. Several members of the Church asked him if he got permission from the neighbors first?? The trees are on Church property. They were worried someone would get mad......