Grading Help with a bulldozer

/ Help with a bulldozer #1  

csharpe5097

Tractor
Kubota L4240
I want to make a road thru my birch swamp. What kind of dozer should i buy. I am going to have to push down alot of trees and not get stuck in the mud.

/ Help with a bulldozer #2  
Cat D6 widetrack

/ Help with a bulldozer #3  
A winch would really be nice too...!! All of ours had them, and were real life savers at times..!!

/ Help with a bulldozer
Thank you

/ Help with a bulldozer #5  
What are you going to do after you push them over? Getting them on the ground is easy, getting them out of the way is where the work begins.

I have a Case dozer that is similar in sized to a Cat D6. I have 170hp and it weighs 40,000 pounds. When it gets stuck, your life just got REALLY BAD!!!!!!

When I first bought it, I was pushing over trees like crazy. After creating a massive mess, it took me two years to clean it all up. Now I've learned NOT to do that again.

My prefered method for clearing trees is to take them down with my backhoe. I dig around the roots and push the who tree over. Then I drag or use my grapple to carry the tree out of there and to my burn pile.

An excavator is better for taking out trees, but it's not so good at getting them to the burn pile. The backhoe is a good compromise machine that will do it all. Get 4 wheel drive and a 4 in 1 bucket if you can afford it.

Eddie

/ Help with a bulldozer #6  
You didn't say what kind of road you want to build or how big your tress are. That and your buget would determine what you could go with for a dozer.

I have a little Dresser TD7G that I use for woods roads. It does pretty well for what I want to do as far as pushing smaller trees and popping rocks and is fairly manuverable in the woods. It weighs about 15,000 lbs.

Make sure you know what you are going to do the the stumps and root balls before you start. They mount up and get in your way fast.

Attachments

• DozerWork1.JPG
    DozerWork1.JPG
    801.2 KB · Views: 567
  • WoodsDozer2.JPG
    WoodsDozer2.JPG
    772.2 KB · Views: 782
   / Help with a bulldozer #7  
When you take any type of equipment into a swamp it is easy to get stuck. An excavator or track loader with a winch will be the easiest to get unstuck. Swamps are also hard on tracks and rollers.As Eddie mentioned geting the trees down is the easy part. How big are the trees.
Bill

/ Help with a bulldozer #8  
I want to make a road thru my birch swamp. What kind of dozer should i buy. I am going to have to push down alot of trees and not get stuck in the mud.

Instead of buying a machine, you would probably come out way ahead, if you just hire a contractor to do the job.

As already pointed out, knocking down trees is the easy part. ;)

/ Help with a bulldozer #9  

How do you plan on dozing a road in a swamp? You'll need a way to bring fill in that you can push out to make a road.

I've see trackhoes work in a swamp and they used decks made of railroad ties that they put down to support themselves. They build up a roadbed from material they dig up from the swamp and then move the decks ahead and work on the next section.

/ Help with a bulldozer
I have a kubota L4240 with a backhoe and i figured i could knock the trees down with the dozer and move them with the backhoe. Im not sure about the fill. Any ideas would be appreciated.