How much weight do I need?

/ How much weight do I need? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I own an Iseki TS 2205 2wd tractor. When I put my 5' bush hog on the 3ph I loss control of my steering wheels, even if i put just the slightest lift on the mower.

My question is would 125 pound be enough weight on the front end. My bush hog is not light weight but it isn't a heavy weight either. I would guess it weighs about 500 pounds. I can lift one corner by myself when I am mounting it on the 3ph.

Thanks,

Don Worrell

/ How much weight do I need?
Any of the post I have read reguarding weighting seem to say try it and see. Not having had your problen yet, I would guess that 125lbs would give you the control you're looking for. The distance from your rear axle to the frontend acts like a lever and would require less weight than what you're trying to move, or not move in your case.
Hope this helps some.
Ron

/ How much weight do I need? #3  
I would guess you have too much bush hog there. I'm not familiar with the TS2205 but I suspect it is similar in size and weight to my Yanmar 2000B, 2wd, (1668#, 54" wide with wheels reversed, 48" standard.). I have a 4' cutter and it made the front end too light when lifted until I added 200# suitcase weights to the front bumper. A 4wd is a lot heavier and could probably handle the weight.

/ How much weight do I need? #4  
<font color="blue"> I would guess you have too much bush hog there. </font>

Yup, I'd agree. But as long as you don't run out of power when you're trying to use it you can probably get away with it. Start adding weight to the front until it stabilizes (you might consider filling the tires, too - do a search for "tire loading" and you'll get all kinds of info / opinions /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif).

You didn't mention if you have an FEL. That adds a bunch of weight to the front, so adding suitcase weights could simulate having one. If you do, just try putting rocks into it to test the "add weight" theory (keep it *low*).

(I'm figuring that downsizing the brush hog isn't an option - but if you can, try a 4'. Bet that'll fix it right there, tho.)

/ How much weight do I need? #5  
I have a ym1700.. which is a bit smaller than your machine i believe.. And I had to add 180 weight to my front end so I could use my 30" dirt scoop and get a full bite.. am guessing I was lifting int he 500# pluss scoop weight. Front end could probably have used 200 or 225.. but 180 kept it on the ground for steering.

Soundguy

I got a nortrac 25 h.p.,4 wd, no loader, and a 5 ft king kutter standard duty.It came with about 160 lbs of suitcase weights[appox.] and that didn't look like enough to me,so I added over 200lbs of weights on the front with those,I still haven't went up my steepest hills yet,but I'm going soon and I'm not really all that confident about all that weight.Unless you are going to stay on level ground,I'd have at least as much weight on the front of your 2wd as I got.But I probably just being a coward. RICHARD GAUTHIER

You have over 300 pounds or 200 pounds? My ground is almost level except 1 small hill and it is gradual.

Where did you find your extra weight and how much should weight cost?

Don Worrell

/ How much weight do I need? #8  
<font color="blue"> But I probably just being a coward </font>

Good! I am too. Better to be chicken than to hurt your tractor (oh, yeah, and possibly yourself, too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif).

Every now and then you realize why farming is one of the most dangerous jobs (as many people are hurt or killed farming as nearly anything else). One of my favorite stupid moments was when I found myself standing on my *running* brush hog checking out clearance to get me away from my fence. I came to my senses, got the heck off of there, and remembered that I can rebuild the fence but losing a leg would be really bad.

I have other stupid moments, but I don't think I'll share them all right now /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. Be safe! Seems like I hear about someone getting killed by a rollover every year (and that is just local folks).

Don,I got about 370 lbs of weight [added weight] on the front.It came with about 160lbs 0f suitcase type tractor weights on it [I don't have a loader on it]. What I did was get a piece of 3/4" all thread rod,and ran it through the slots in the top of the suitcase type weights,leaving enough room to add round weight lifting weights on each side,I put a piece [on each side],of 2x6 as washers/spacers, between the weights and the suitcase factory weights[they didn't want to stay vertical],then big washers and nut on each end.I then mounted my little red tool box on the top edge of the wooden spacers with wood screws,just fit,so add it all up and I got about 370lbs.The weights cost about 10.00 for a 25lb weight.,I got 8 so thats $80.00.The all thread rod and nuts probably didn't cost over 30.00,I forget,$100.00 all together maybe.If you don't have any hills to go up,you might not need to put on over 200lbs.,but I am no expert on this or even close to one.I hoped this helped a little.RICHARD GAUTHIER