Idea to monitor/secure a tractor

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #1  

rogerius

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940HST
Need some ideas about how I can keep an eye on a tractor. I'm planning to purchase a L3800 in the spring and keep it in an ISO container on my property. Because I'm a "weekend hobbyest" I can check the tractor just in weekends. Do you have any idea how I can monitor the tractor. I was thinking at some sort of GPS tracking system which will give me a live position of the tractor at any moment but the fee for this type is around 30$/month. Do you have any recommendation/idea/sugestion?

Thx.

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #2  
Hi, I'd be surprised if a GPS would work inside a container, but I suppose you're thinking of tracking it down after being stolen.
Containers are very secure, how about just putting some 3/8 D70 chain through both rear wheels with a big lock on it? Thieves generally aren't all that ambitious (otherwise they'd be working like the rest of us) and I think the extra chain through the wheels would be enough for them to give up and look for an easier mark.

On my little farm back home (I work on the opposite side of the country for most of the year), I put nice barbed wire fences, with ordinary farm gates at both road entrances, then heavy concrete blocks with locked cable gates about 100yards from the cottage. I haven't had a problem since, but the b*****s broke into my place twice before that, when it was easy to drive into.

Now they have to stop at the farm gate, then stop at the cable gate, and they could be seen by neighbors at both stops. I'm a very good neighbor, and I think they take care of me and keep an eye out.

I've also thought about getting a container though...

Good luck with your place!

Bye for now,

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor
Hi, I'd be surprised if a GPS would work inside a container, but I suppose you're thinking of tracking it down after being stolen.
Containers are very secure, how about just putting some 3/8 D70 chain through both rear wheels with a big lock on it? Thieves generally aren't all that ambitious (otherwise they'd be working like the rest of us) and I think the extra chain through the wheels would be enough for them to give up and look for an easier mark.

On my little farm back home (I work on the opposite side of the country for most of the year), I put nice barbed wire fences, with ordinary farm gates at both road entrances, then heavy concrete blocks with locked cable gates about 100yards from the cottage. I haven't had a problem since, but the b*****s broke into my place twice before that, when it was easy to drive into.

Now they have to stop at the farm gate, then stop at the cable gate, and they could be seen by neighbors at both stops. I'm a very good neighbor, and I think they take care of me and keep an eye out.

I've also thought about getting a container though...

Good luck with your place!

Bye for now,

Thanks. Yes, the GPS will not work inside the container, but if the tractor is out I'll know right away and it will help me to locate it. I'm looking for some recomendations which is good and which not.
The idea using a chain+lock or the ISO been a strong and secure device I'm still not sure; "the professionals" today are using torch to get in and in special in my case beeing out from property 5 days in a week, give them a lot of time. I've got already couple trail cams on my property for surveilance, but I'm little paranoic about this, since I've got two "wood thieves" recorded on my cams and OPP working to find them. I hate "the professionals": they seems to be very busy in my area and they "collect" everything from properties.

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #4  
If you have power and Internet there you can set up an Internet
camera that uploads an image at regular intervals. Should be
a lot cheaper than 30 a month. Some of them can also send an
email if they see movement.

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #5  
When I am gone for a period of time. Along with keeping the tractor in a locked shed. I put a steel cable through the loader mount one side, through the steering wheel, then the other loader mount and lock it. I put a bad fuse in for the fuel solenoid. I turn off the fuel at the fuel filter. I am sure they bring aqlonhg bolt cutters, but the other two items require a little knowledge of the tractor.

I have considered putting in a valve some were between the fuel tank and the fuel filter. This might be the best idea as the tractor will start, but they will not get far before it stalls out. They may not be willing to try and figure out what the problem is while the tractor is out in the open. Even if they find the valve, they will still have to know how to bleed it.

If you have power and Internet there you can set up an Internet
camera that uploads an image at regular intervals. Should be
a lot cheaper than 30 a month. Some of them can also send an
email if they see movement.

No power grid on property and the closest neighbour who lives there is at 5km down the streets, all rest of us are "weekend farmers".

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #7  
How would you power a GPS unit when you're away?
Seems to me, you'd have to leave it on constantly...that'll drain it's battery pretty quickly. And, if you do connect it directly to the tractor battery...well, might work for a week or so...but then you'd have a dead battery.
Of course, if you have power on your property, you can work around my concerns...

How would you power a GPS unit when you're away?
Seems to me, you'd have to leave it on constantly...that'll drain it's battery pretty quickly. And, if you do connect it directly to the tractor battery...well, might work for a week or so...but then you'd have a dead battery.
Of course, if you have power on your property, you can work around my concerns...

Some of these devices has own power source.(e.x.: Trimble TrimTrac) claim to work up to 90 days with four AA batteries, but some needs to be connected to the vehicle batteries. The consume of these small devices is small which will not drain the battery in 5 days.

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #9  
Some of these devices has own power source.(e.x.: Trimble TrimTrac) claim to work up to 90 days with four AA batteries, but some needs to be connected to the vehicle batteries. The consume of these small devices is small which will not drain the battery in 5 days.
I am not familiar with the system--Trimble Trimtrac-- that you spoke of. My concerns are that they claim to work up to 90-ninety days supplied with only 4-four AA batteries as a power source. And in regards to the other devices that need to be connected to the battery, there is the problem concerning battery drain. I am not an expert in regards to these devices' capabilities and battery demands, but I just can't perceive the longevity factor concerning the batteries as a long term power supply. Is there anyway that the local Power Company can hook you up, or is it too cost prohibitive? Best of luck in your endeavor.

/ Idea to monitor/secure a tractor #10  
Get a real Lojack and a fake one, don't forget the stickers advertising it so they look for it and think they are so smart, mount the fake where it can be found and the real one hidden and rest easy cause someone is going to jail. A few rotted boards with nails up tend to keep the thieves in the ER and off your property as well, just remember where they are.