Ownership costs?

/ Ownership costs? #1  

7sam15

Tractor
Kubota 3830
I’m starting to evaluate general ownership cost of the tractors I am interested in (JD 4510, 4610, Kubota l3830, l4330, NH tc35, tc40). While talking with salesmen I have asked them to estimate the cost of some general parts replacement and maintenance chores. I have asked about things like shop rates, 50 hour service costs, pump replacement, and transmission repair. Surprisingly, the cost for these types of activities has been very similar from one dealer to the next (including JD, Kubota and NH).

I didn’t expect that at all.

From your experience does this seem normal? Would you expect that basic maintenance and repair cost would be close for the tree major brands? Does one brand have drastically more expensive parts or rates?

Thanks for any information you can add.

Colin--

/ Ownership costs? #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Surprisingly, the cost for these types of activities has been very similar from one dealer to the next (including JD, Kubota and NH). )</font>

Now I don't have any hard evidence to support an opinion, but I don't find that at all surprising, just about what I'd expect.

/ Ownership costs? #3  
I would like to add that from what I have found. I have mostly been around Kubota. But we had a tractor before my B2910 that we owned for about 8 years. We used it in the mountains for york raking yards and we took very good care of it and serviced it every 50 hours. Never had anything go wrong or have to replace one part except the battery went bad after 7 years but that is good for a battery. As far as having to replace parts you aren't going to have to do that. Unless you don't service it like you should or you are working in extreme conditions. I wouldn't worry about replacing parts often. Tractors are made to withstand some abuse.

~Dave~

/ Ownership costs? #4  
I've found that cost of ownership is very low on a tractor. The purchase price is the hard part /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. After that, it will most likely be just the regular maintenance, and it doesn't surprise me that the cost is the same from dealer to dealer. Mechanics will generally run about the same hourly rate, and most of the $$$ for maintenance is in labor. ('Cept for the hydro fluid, but that's going to be about the same between brands, too.)

When I very first got my tractor, I had the dealer come out, pick it up, perform the service, and then return it (had a big buck contract programming job back then and had more money than time - I thought /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif). That was really expensive, but it was all labor. I have been doing my own maintenance for the past few years, and the only time I spend any real money was when I replace the hydro fluid in my HST. Filters and engine oil don't cost much at all.

One last thing...if you're buying new then it is likely that if you're going to have a major (expensive) problem that it will happen sooner rather than later. About the only things that go wrong are defective parts or poor final assembly. Your dealer should fix either one of those for no charge.

But I haven't put much money at all into parts. I broke my headlights and I think it was about $15 for both sockets and a couple bucks for the bulbs. That has been my most expensive "non-scheduled" repair. Oh, I forgot all the times I've had to have the tires patched at $12 / time. Anyway, these are all self inflicted /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

/ Ownership costs? #5  
I can't agree more. Routine maintenance is the best thing you can do to prolong tractor life.

My NH 1920 is seven years old... I've replaced the battery, and that is it.. not even a light bulb. The oly expenses are the fluids and filters... though some of the filters are pricey.. sure beats a repair. I also grease it regularly.. and I've found that the NH spec grease is cheaper than just about any of the store brand greases.. except the most generic brown plain .axle . grease... plus the blue grease looks good on the blue tractor.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Consequently, I used a red pnenplex grease on my NAA and my 8N as they have redbellies... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Soundguy

/ Ownership costs? #6  
<font color="blue"> the blue grease looks good on the blue tractor..
I used a red pnenplex grease on my NAA and my 8N as they have red bellies </font>

I think that's just a bit overboard for even the most meticulous owner...

By the way... if you happened to own a green tractor, just what kind of grease would you use to match??? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Ownership costs? #7  
<font color="blue"> if you happened to own a green tractor, just what kind of grease would you use to match </font>

Don't ask /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I've got all kinds of insensitive answers ready to come out /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

/ Ownership costs? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've found that cost of ownership is very low on a tractor. The purchase price is the hard part )</font>

Considering the fact that I paid more $$ for my 2000 Ford 4x4 pick up then I did for my 2003 NH TC35D, and the fact that my pickup won't do the work or last nearly as long as my tractor and that I will have to replace my truck, Long before I ever / if ever replace my tractor. I consider and feel that purchase price of tractors ( who's ever brand ) is actually very reasonable. In the big scope of things.

/ Ownership costs? #9  
<font color="blue">paid more $$ for my 2000 Ford 4x4 pick up then I did for my 2003 NH TC35D, and the fact that my pickup won't do the work or last nearly as long as my tractor ...</font>

Hi Mark,

I always felt... there was something wrong with that equation... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Ownership costs? #10  
Considdering that I've seen white, red, blue, black , and orangish brown greases.. I'l bet there is a green around somewhere...

Soundguy