POWER TAKEOFF

/ POWER TAKEOFF #1  

BARNACLE BILL

Tractor
FORD 3000
I HAVE A FORD 3000. I HAVE NEVER HAD USE FOR THE POWER TAKEOFF TILL NOW --- SNOWBLOWER. HOW CAN I ENGAGE THE POWER TAKEOFF WITH MOTOR RUNNING ?? WHEN I PRESS THE PT LEVER I GET GEAR GRINDING.
THANKS --- BAR BILL

/ POWER TAKEOFF #2  
Are you depressing the clutch ? Not sure on that tractor but you may have a two stage clutch, halfway down disengages the drive gears all the way the drive and PTO. No you don't Want to engage the PTO with the engine stopped. Good luck !

/ POWER TAKEOFF #3  
How are you trying to engage it. Moving, clutch in, neutral? Clutch has to be in to engage. Worst case the coupler could be stripped. I have never taken one of those apart, but if the rear PTO bearing goes you could get wobble that breaks the nub that aligns the countershaft and the PTO causing that grinding. That is how our Farmtrac is and it is modeled after the 3000 series fords. May be wrong though

/ POWER TAKEOFF #4  
Never been around a 3000 Ford much, but, on the earlier Fords getting a grinding of gears when trying to engage the PTO happens fairly often. As it happens, let back out on the clutch then back in and try again. Might happen more than once and that's fine. You have to find that "sweet spot" from time to time. No biggie.

Now, if this is happening every time you try and regardless of how you try to do it and it still fails to engage.....well, then you may have a problem with the clutch or PTO.

/ POWER TAKEOFF
I MOUNTED THE SNOWBLOWER --- STARTED TRACTOR.
WITH TRACTOR IDELLING / THE TRANSMISSION IN NEUTRAL / 2 SPEED IN NEUTRAL --- I TRIED ENGAGING PTO LEVER WITH AND WITHOUT THE CLUTCH PEDAL DOWN. SINCE IT HAS "LIVE POWER" I WOULDN'T THING THE CLUTCH WOULD BE USED TO STOP THE PTO. EITHER WAY THE PTO WOULDN'T ENGAGE --- GEARS GRINDING. SEEMS SOMETHING HAS TO STOP THE PTO GEARS BEFORE ENGAGING THE PTO. ANY OTHER IDEAS ??
THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE REPLIES. NICE TO HAVE SOMEPLACE TO GO WITH TRACTOR PROBLEMS.
BAR BILL

/ POWER TAKEOFF #6  
Have you tried to engage the pto with engine turned off? If it will engage with the engine off,then depress the clutch( w/ engine off) and see if pto will freewheel if will not it is a clutch/clutch adjustment problem....Craig

/ POWER TAKEOFF #7  
how quick are you trying to engage the pto.when you press the clutch, give it time for the gears to stop spinnin, before you move the pto lever.

/ POWER TAKEOFF #8  
I'd post this over the Ford section and wait for soundguy to reply.

Wedge

/ POWER TAKEOFF #9  
Depending on the year model of the 3000, the clutch linkadge has two positions where it connects to the clutch pedal. In one hole if you push the clutch all the way down, both the drive and the pto clutches disengage, in the other hole, if you push the pedal all the way down, only the drive clutch disengages. You might want to check where the rod connects to the pedal and see if there are two holes on the rod connector.

/ POWER TAKEOFF #10  
Clutch it, it usually takes a second or two and lower rpm helps... and it tends to fall in as you release the clutch. You can knock mine off without clutching it, but to engage it needs the clutch. Its going to grind a little, but hey its a 40 year old tractor. You aint gonna hurt it.