Chains Cold weather starting a diesel

/ Cold weather starting a diesel #1  

CTPhil

Gold Member
My newly acquired diesel tractor has no cold weather starting aids. No pre-heater, no block heater. With my other tractors I spray ether directly into the air intake, but on this one the intake is buried up under the cowl. I've been spraying through the grille, but it doesn't seem to be very effective. Has anyone done some kind of home grown mod to allow ether to be sprayed directly into the intake stream? The manifold and rubber hose from the air cleaner is somewhat accessible, is there some slick way to install some kind of port for spraying ether in?

/ Cold weather starting a diesel #2  
My newly acquired diesel tractor has no cold weather starting aids. No pre-heater, no block heater. With my other tractors I spray ether directly into the air intake, but on this one the intake is buried up under the cowl. I've been spraying through the grille, but it doesn't seem to be very effective. Has anyone done some kind of home grown mod to allow ether to be sprayed directly into the intake stream? The manifold and rubber hose from the air cleaner is somewhat accessible, is there some slick way to install some kind of port for spraying ether in?

I used to spray starting aid in an old farm tractor at a ranch i worked at...till the day a huge flame blew up the stack and near burnt my eye lashes off.. was an old gas tractor.

I know on new tractors they frown on this practice..to the point of voiding warranties. On older units you can do what you want. I dont really know of any sure fire fix for yours except maybe adding a lower radiator heater or a freeze block heater. If these wont work, you can always add on a glue on electric heater. I did on my new DK45 cause the lower radiator hose was not an option (too short) and i didnt want to crack into the block with a freeze plug. The Wolverine glue on heaters work great for me. Took all of 5 minutes to install and i have them on a wall timer to run 2 hours before i need the tractor.
Wolverine Engine Heaters | Outperforms Engine Block Heater - Cold Starts

these are made in USA..... good product. not too $$$.

/ Cold weather starting a diesel #3  
Ether -- the engine repair shop's best friend.

Spend the hour and put in a block heater.

/ Cold weather starting a diesel #5  
Do what you want but ford tractor is right. Ether is like cocaine for diesels! Tough on the heart to say the least. If this tractor is one you care about get a block heater. Just my own opinion of course but I won't use ether. Good luck with your newly aquired tractor and happy holidays!

/ Cold weather starting a diesel #7  
I used to spray starting aid in an old farm tractor at a ranch i worked at...till the day a huge flame blew up the stack and near burnt my eye lashes off.. was an old gas tractor.

I got a good laugh out of this one! Reminded me of the time working on an old Ford gas. Rebuilt the carburetor and had gasoline all over things plus a bunch of gasoline-soaked rags on the floor. Had the air intake off and shot some ether in the carb. The tractor backfired through the carb with a bang and a good sheet of flame - caught those rags and about everything else on fire! Made for a few tense moments but no damage done and good for laughs later.

Regarding cold starting, I'm curious, are glow plugs not sufficient? I don't have a heater on my Kubota and never have a problem with just glow plugs, but then again, I live in KY and it doesn't get really cold here.

/ Cold weather starting a diesel #8  
I got a good laugh out of this one! Reminded me of the time working on an old Ford gas. Rebuilt the carburetor and had gasoline all over things plus a bunch of gasoline-soaked rags on the floor. Had the air intake off and shot some ether in the carb. The tractor backfired through the carb with a bang and a good sheet of flame - caught those rags and about everything else on fire! Made for a few tense moments but no damage done and good for laughs later.

Regarding cold starting, I'm curious, are glow plugs not sufficient? I don't have a heater on my Kubota and never have a problem with just glow plugs, but then again, I live in KY and it doesn't get really cold here.

my understanding is that glow plugs are fine for colder startsl HOWEVER, in very cold temps, like here in North Idaho can get, heating the block, or the radiator, and/or the battery will make for much nicer starts on days when it might be -4F with a wind. The DK45 will start just fine at -4, but will groan and moan and creek like the dickens. Whereas if i preheat the block for a few hours prior to start, there is next to no groaning. So this HAS to be easier on the engine.

Any if not all new diesel trucks come with glow plugged AND block heaters (in the cold climate regions). There not an option here in Idaho. All from factory. If you don't plug it in, it can take a mighty long time at idle before it wants to move. VERY hard on the engine.

/ Cold weather starting a diesel #9  
On my Fordson E27n , Yes, an old gas tractor, long out of warranty. I drilled a hole in the metal intake pipe just up stream of the carb. The hole is sized to just pass those red tube extension nozzles that seem to come with every automotive spray can.

With a tie-wrap around the inlet tube, it's a simple matter to slide over and cover the hole when not needed.

And as far as bad to use ether? Control yourself! "A little works well, a lot works no better"

It sure saves pulling on that crank handle ;-)

/ Cold weather starting a diesel #10  
my understanding is that glow plugs are fine for colder startsl HOWEVER, in very cold temps, like here in North Idaho can get, heating the block, or the radiator, and/or the battery will make for much nicer starts on days when it might be -4F with a wind. The DK45 will start just fine at -4, but will groan and moan and creek like the dickens. Whereas if i preheat the block for a few hours prior to start, there is next to no groaning. So this HAS to be easier on the engine.

Any if not all new diesel trucks come with glow plugged AND block heaters (in the cold climate regions). There not an option here in Idaho. All from factory. If you don't plug it in, it can take a mighty long time at idle before it wants to move. VERY hard on the engine.

Ahh, it makes sense to me now. I just had never experienced starting that cold. Thanks for the explanation!