Oil & Fuel Store diesel in plastic?

/ Store diesel in plastic? #31  
Recovery your correct. On our rigs OSHA will not let any petroleum or combustible substance be in plastic due to static electricity being store on plastic.

At home I use plastic for both gasoline and diesel, 5 gallon with the new rocker pour spouts. They work very well for me. If I had to travel a long distance for fuel and keep greater quantities, my bulk tank would be metal.

I hear you on the government but in over forty years of being around construction and manufacturing, OSHA has brought about huge improvements in job safety. It used to be that you could be directed to do something patently unsafe or forced to use unsafe gear but thankfully those days are long gone. Folks will P & M about most anything but just look at seat belts. Bring 'em home alive, I say.

/ Store diesel in plastic? #32  
At home I use plastic for both gasoline and diesel, 5 gallon with the new rocker pour spouts. They work very well for me. If I had to travel a long distance for fuel and keep greater quantities, my bulk tank would be metal.

I hear you on the government but in over forty years of being around construction and manufacturing, OSHA has brought about huge improvements in job safety. It used to be that you could be directed to do something patently unsafe or forced to use unsafe gear but thankfully those days are long gone. Folks will P & M about most anything but just look at seat belts. Bring 'em home alive, I say.
Much of the OSHA rules don't apply to homeowner use. On public facilities where any Tom, Dick or Harry can access fuel cans and chemicals stored onsite, more strict rules have to be enforced. As one famous quote says or somewhat says, " You cant prevent an idiot from circumventing a safety apparatus because they are too smart". When you are in your home and only you have access to something, you can be totally responsible for knowing that the yellow can actually has gasoline in it since you filled it yourself and you are the only one using it. You cant do that on a construction site or publically accessible locations where multiple users are using the product, so if it is in a yellow container and labeled "Diesel" the user can reliably expect it to be diesel and not gas, water or hydrochloric acid.
I agree that OSHA has done a marvelous job of policing the industry to help make it a safe a place to work as possible. However, I don't agree with Big Brother directing us in our private lives to the extend it does in public. We at some point have to take responsibility for our actions and not blame the govt. or manufacturer for our stupidity i.e. striking a match to see if a fuel container has something in it and then suing the container manufacturer into bankruptcy for not having a warning label to not do what he did. I don't think anyone can foresee all the stupidity that can happen and place a warning about it, you would need a 10" thick volume attached to every item sold.

/ Store diesel in plastic? #35  
Done the same in a coffee can 1/4 full of gasoline.

I would not recommend this action for most people.......it's possible yes.......so is a big Boom!

/ Store diesel in plastic? #36  
It's the vapors that'll go BOOM, liquid pretty stabil.

Done the same with a lit match. Ya, you'll get a flame, but no boom.

/ Store diesel in plastic? #37  

Done the same with a lit match. Ya, you'll get a flame, but no boom.

I agree.....still recommend most people don't try it for their own safety......:2cents:

/ Store diesel in plastic? #38  
I agree.....still recommend most people don't try it for their own safety......:2cents:

Also agree, but knowing where the danger is also a safety step.

Like this guy, had he used diesel, he wouldn't have been in the Utubes hall of fame.
Bonfire Blow Up - YouTube

Edit; spelling.

Last edited:
   / Store diesel in plastic? #40  

Liquid gasoline is most definitely not stabile. Gasoline, a light distillate, is volatile. Volatile is defined as a substance that evaporates easily at normal temperatures. The evaporative substance isn't flammable, it is explosive. Place any source of ignition near gasoline vapors and you risk an explosion and resulting fire from the remaining liquid. Burns are one of the most painful and dangerous injuries one can ever suffer. Just saying......