Oil & Fuel Store diesel in plastic?

/ Store diesel in plastic? #41  
I store diesel and petrol in plastic containers, no chance of sparks;)

My car has a plastic diesel tank:)

Are the metal tanks I see in the back of pickups not safe?

/ Store diesel in plastic? #42  
Metal tanks that are grounded to the vehicle are safe. Any tank in the vehicle that is not grounded, while filling is not safe. Static electricity is your enemy. Discharge creates a spark which causes an explosive reaction with fumes.

Very serious explosions can occur from filling portable tanks in the back of SUV's or pickup beds, where they were not grounded due to plastic bed liners and carpeted surfaces. Plastic containers are just as likely to spark due to static build up as metal. Grounding is the key.

http://www.ameriburn.org/Preven/GasolineSafetyEducator'sGuide.pdf

Diesel fuel, while less volatile and having a much higher flash point is far safer but given its flammability should be treated with respect, in my opinion.

One cup of gasoline, suspended in air has the same explosive power as a stick of TNT. Be safe out there.

/ Store diesel in plastic? #43  
The volume of air required for that cup of gas has got to be huge especially compared to a 5 gallon gas can. Thinking maybe weather balloon size. Getting the ratio to where the mix will explode is not easy but it can happen without trying too.

There is a middle ground here without resorting to fear mongering.

/ Store diesel in plastic? #44  
I only keep 5 gallons of gas around. Yellow plastic container. Fill the tractor one container at a time once it hits about a 1/4 of a tank left. Container sits in the garage. If I ever get a fire in there, melting the container and 5 gallons of burning diesel fuel will be the LEAST of my worries.

/ Store diesel in plastic? #45  
The volume of air required for that cup of gas has got to be huge especially compared to a 5 gallon gas can. Thinking maybe weather balloon size. Getting the ratio to where the mix will explode is not easy but it can happen without trying too.

There is a middle ground here without resorting to fear mongering.

Fear mongering is not relevant to my post. Gasoline is volatile and under more than common circumstances, liquid can become airborne all too easily. It doesn't take near a cup's worth to change your life. Burn wards are populated with souls that never thought it would happen to them. I'm simply amplifying the danger of gasoline. The comment that seemed to suggest that putting a lit cigarette out in a cup of gasoline was fine, motivated my post.

I've worked tankers and oil refineries and unfortunately in the latter, have experienced severely burned workers the result of volatile fumes having ignited. Do you want a graphic description of the results of these burns to just take a little extra caution? I hope not because I don't want to go there. If you want to PM me for documentation of my position and a private description, please do. By the way, neither of the two incidents were massive, industrial failures. Both were maintenance related accidents caused by mis-handling of small quantities of gasoline.

"Sent from my..... Why would anyone care!" I do because I care about you and don't want to see you burned.

/ Store diesel in plastic? #46  
Fear mongering is not relevant to my post. Gasoline is volatile and under more than common circumstances, liquid can become airborne all too easily. It doesn't take near a cup's worth to change your life. Burn wards are populated with souls that never thought it would happen to them. I'm simply amplifying the danger of gasoline. The comment that seemed to suggest that putting a lit cigarette out in a cup of gasoline was fine, motivated my post.

I've worked tankers and oil refineries and unfortunately in the latter, have experienced severely burned workers the result of volatile fumes having ignited. Do you want a graphic description of the results of these burns to just take a little extra caution? I hope not because I don't want to go there. If you want to PM me for documentation of my position and a private description, please do. By the way, neither of the two incidents were massive, industrial failures. Both were maintenance related accidents caused by mis-handling of small quantities of gasoline.
Fear mongering (or scaremongering or scare tactics) is the use of fear to influence the opinions and actions of others towards some specific end.

Your agenda is you want to increase peoples fear of gas. It is not wrong but we are not 5 year olds. Still it is the net an you never know who is reading what. But it still is what it is.

"Sent from my..... Why would anyone care!" I do because I care about you and don't want to see you burned.
Gosh. I think you took my signature in context to the post. I am just a little annoyed at seeing similar lines appended by cell phone apps.

/ Store diesel in plastic? #47  
We've used 55 gallon food-grade plastic drums for years for our diesel, with a hand-crank transfer pump for filling our tractors.

When Northern Tool finally offered an affordable 12V version, I jumped on it. It's back in a tractor shed, out of the weather, and we keep a small solar panel to keep a deep cycle battery topped off.

For $150 bucks, it's been awesome. Included the pump, filling station style handle, and 13 feet of hose, and just drops right in to our 55 gallon plastic drums.

pump.jpg
Northern Industrial Tools Fuel Transfer Pump Kit — 12 Volt, 8 GPM | DC Powered Fuel Pumps| Northern Tool + Equipment

/ Store diesel in plastic? #48  
Your agenda is you want to increase peoples fear of gas. It is not wrong but we are not 5 year olds.

And determining the age of someone that would suggest it is fine to put a lit cigarette out in a can of gasoline is something we can easily determine? While I assume five year olds don't smoke cigarettes, the advice that this is OK might be at that developmental level.

Gasoline is volatile and explosive as are all light distillates, period. Factual information regarding the result of certain actions that violate good practice and common sense which can and all too frequently do result in serious injuries are offered: "to influence the opinions and actions of others towards some specific end". Bet your $$s. Get to know a fireman in your area or a first responder.

If you think about my unreasonable post next time you're sloshing volatile liquids, you have been blessed. Being burned is ****.

/ Store diesel in plastic? #49  
And if a 5 year old can read the chance of him reading TBN is on the low side.
I do not want to go any further with this. If you feel it is you mission then bless you.

Maybe you want to stop by the thread where people are posting pictures of tractors on side hills and give them some grief ;)