Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2620

Default Store diesel in plastic?

Is it okay to store diesel in a food grade blue plastic barrel?
    Kubota B2620, Ford 1210(sold), Satoh S650G(sold), folding entrenching tool.

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100 HST 4WD

Default Re: Store diesel in plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by oldboyscout View Post
    I assume that you are speaking of the heavyweight (about 1/4" thick sidewall) barrels? If so, yes, the barrel will work for you. I suggest you use some sort of wobble type pump that you can install a water separating fuel filter on. The threaded bung hole on the top of the barrel may not support the pump enogh to prevent it from eventually breaking the area around it from the top though. The key here is to prevent moisture in your fuel, your equipment fuel filter should have water separating capacity which will help, but if you can't use a source filter then I would suggest retrofitting a drainable fuel strainer on the equipment.

Wait for it!!!!

Wait for it!!!!

Wedge
    1967 Ford 4000,Mahindra 4530 with FEL and BH, Box blade, straight blade, FEL, Rake, Bushhog, Backhoe, Jinma chipper, KKII tiller, Grapple. Mahindra 4530, with FEL and Backhoe.

Tractor
    Ford 1200 / Super Dexta x 2

I store diesel and petrol in plastic containers, no chance of sparks

My car has a plastic diesel tank
    .Pete

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by wedge40 View Post
    Wait for it!!!!
    Last edited by LBrown59; 12-16-2011 at 01:06 PM.
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4400, '48 B and 318

Quote Originally Posted by Sutol View Post
    I store diesel and petrol in plastic containers, no chance of sparks

My car has a plastic diesel tank
    Well.... Not really true. Be real cautious if you leave you plastic gas tank in the back of your trunk or truck when you fill it with petrol. The static electricity caused by the gas flow build up a charge and can ignite the gas.

I'm sure it is not a problem with diesel since that is a bit harder to ignite.

Wayne

Gold Member
    Tractor
    NH Boomer 1025

Quote Originally Posted by oldboyscout View Post
    Check the bottom of the barrel and see if it's marked HDPE. If it is you should be good, HDPE is the same plastic they use to make plastic gas cans.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    NH TC45D

I'm in the minority, but I think storing diesel in plastic containers is not a good idea, and the larger the container, the worse the risk.

Plastic melts. If you have even a small fire in a storage area, the plastic vessel will fail, draining the liquid onto the floor, creating a huge fire.

In a metal drum, anything short of a plasma cutter or blow torch will simply heat the material in the drum till it boils, then will vaporize it. As soon as the external flame is removed, the contained material will stop boiling/burning (assuming the drum is vented in some way, so it doesn't rupture in the fire).

If you ever see the results of a failed-by-fire diesel plastic storage vessel, you will remember it. It is spectacular, in a car wreck sort of way.

Chris

Tractor
    KIOTI CK20S HST

Quote Originally Posted by dynasim View Post
    I'm in the minority, but I think storing diesel in plastic containers is not a good idea, and the larger the container, the worse the risk.

Plastic melts. If you have even a small fire in a storage area, the plastic vessel will fail, draining the liquid onto the floor, creating a huge fire.

In a metal drum, anything short of a plasma cutter or blow torch will simply heat the material in the drum till it boils, then will vaporize it. As soon as the external flame is removed, the contained material will stop boiling/burning (assuming the drum is vented in some way, so it doesn't rupture in the fire).

If you ever see the results of a failed-by-fire diesel plastic storage vessel, you will remember it. It is spectacular, in a car wreck sort of way.

Chris
    I'm ok with plastic, as long as it's in decent condition with a lid that fits.

No matter what, a fire amid your fuel cans is pretty bad juju.

I wouldn't count on anybody's storage drum being vented, and if it's not, stand back and enjoy the BLEVE
    Boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    NH TC45D

One can have a pretty significant fire with metal cans, and the fuel in the cans will be contained for a long time, even if they aren't vented. Diesel doesn't BLEVE in sort of way typically discussed, classically.

I have personally seen a 5 gallon plastic diesel container melt through in a very small fire, at which time it torched a wide area. There is a huge difference in risk between plastic containers and metal containers. I can't imagine what the sudden release of 55 gallons of fuel would do.

I have also seen smaller steel drums(30 gallon) not fail in bigger events, though they had motor oil in them.

When I had the need for this sort of thing(quite a while ago), I used 55 gallon metal oil storage drums, with lockable vented bung stoppers. The stoppers were about 5$, and purchaseable at any farm store

It is odd to me, though, that you can't buy small metal fuel containers, and believe their absence flows from the stupidity of standards writers(mainly epa sourced). Again, I could be wrong.

As I said, I am clearly in the minority.

Chris

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast