Driving a distance

/ Driving a distance #1  

RosseauK

Tractor
KiotiDK40se
Just moved my tractor today from my woodlot, approximately 50 kms. It took 2 hrs and 40 min. Thought that I made good time kept the rpms around 2200. I was in the highest gear the whole way. I was just wondering if this is hard on the drivetrain or anything else. I'm fairly new to tractors and wasn't sure how I would fair but I had no problems. Thanks for the input

/ Driving a distance #3  
Just moved my tractor today from my woodlot, approximately 50 kms. It took 2 hrs and 40 min. Thought that I made good time kept the rpms around 2200. I was in the highest gear the whole way. I was just wondering if this is hard on the drivetrain or anything else. I'm fairly new to tractors and wasn't sure how I would fair but I had no problems. Thanks for the input

Just hard on tires

/ Driving a distance #4  
I agree, hard on tires, especially if they are new (soft)!

I once worked for an IH dealer, who picked up a new tractor with the rear tires worn halfway out. Turned out, he bought it from an insurance co., tractor had been stolen & roaded halfway across Iowa! ~~ grnspot

/ Driving a distance #5  
I agree with the other posts. But if were me, I would consider purchasing or using someone's trailer the next time. Especially if the weather was bad.:tractor:

/ Driving a distance #6  
I agree with the other posts. But if were me, I would consider purchasing or using someone's trailer the next time. Especially if the weather was bad.:tractor:

it was 32 miles and he was moving at 12MPH, if he has R4 then they are very durable I believe the wear on the tires would be minimal and 3 hours on the machine is nothing. Ag tires might not take the pavement as well but again it is only 32 miles. Buying a trailer for several thousand dollars and maybe a new tow vehicle is overkill. It cost him 2 or 3 gallons of diesel and he got 3 hours of seat time.

/ Driving a distance
I have ag tires and tried to stay off the pavement best I could. I assumed it would be hard on the tires but a trip I will only make twice a year. It cost a few thousand for a trailer and would be hard on my half ton. The other option I had was to get it floated for around 250 one way. Option three was three hours driving and 10 bucks in fuel

/ Driving a distance #8  
I have ag tires and tried to stay off the pavement best I could. I assumed it would be hard on the tires but a trip I will only make twice a year. It cost a few thousand for a trailer and would be hard on my half ton. The other option I had was to get it floated for around 250 one way. Option three was three hours driving and 10 bucks in fuel

If you buy a trailer for casual use, the tires will dry rot after 4 or 5 years and maybe a couple of thousand miles and need to be replaced at a much higher cost per mile than the wear on the tractor tires. If you need the trailer for other reasons then get it, but don't do it for this twice a year trip.

/ Driving a distance #9  
One thing to consider is do you have insurance if there is an accident when you have it on a public road. If you are not sure I would make sure, after the fact could be very expensive. :)

/ Driving a distance #10  
G'day if you have to do alot of road miles then an extra 5 -8 psi in the tyres does wonders for tyre life, if you have 4wd or fwa then turn the tyres around the other way ( i.e swap sides) . I used to work with a bloke who when young had to drive tractors some 200+ miles from the port to the dealer
and all they would do is put a few more pound in the tyres and a couple more layers if it was cold:D. As for turning the front tyres around we do this on all our tractors that will be doing alot of miles and it increases the life 5x plus without really sacrificing front grip

Jon