mini excavator in the forest

/ mini excavator in the forest #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
I drove by interesting site today. A guy had a Takeuchi 165 right in the middle of the woods logging about 2 acres. I've seen plenty of excavators on landings and even some on logging trails but I never thought to use one as an extractor or forwarder attached to a trailer as I do not think they would make a good skidder. Was just wondering if anyone else uses a mini or midi excavator as such and if so, what are the pitfalls other than clearance of bringing something like this directly into the woods?

/ mini excavator in the forest #2  
Would probbaly be hard on the drive motors to use it to pull a trailer.

Aaron Z

/ mini excavator in the forest #3  
I saw a video of one being used like you saw. The trees were hand felled and bucked up where they lay. The mini had a grapple and pulled a trailer. It followed the choppers around picking the saw logs and forwarding them to the landing. It was said to be hard on the mini but a fast and over all cost effective method on some small job sites.
It is a interesting idea.

Last edited:
   / mini excavator in the forest
I saw a video of one being used like you saw. The trees were hand felled and bucked up where they lay. The mini had a grapple and pulled a trailer. It followed the choppers around picking the saw logs and forwarding them to the landing. It was said to be hard on the mini but a fast and over all cost effective method on some small job sites.
It is a interesting idea.

That is something I'd like to see as well if you can remember where you saw it that is.

/ mini excavator in the forest #5  
They use Kubota 161's and other mini's here with processor heads on them for thinning. They drive on the slash and a forwarder picks up the wood.

Similar to this video only not clearcutting:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udzQHYCJCo0[/ame]

More like this:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezwo9vIxLms&feature=related[/ame]

They use Kubota 161's and other mini's here with processor heads on them for thinning. They drive on the slash and a forwarder picks up the wood.

Similar to this video only not clearcutting:
Neuson clearcutting - YouTube

More like this:
Neuson - YouTube

They may use the body of a mini ex but the track chassis design makes these things "shovel loggers" which are designed specifically for this kind of work. I'm talking about he regular mini. I would think it would have to be at least a 6 ton machine. I did find a video of a guy using a mini as a forwarder. There does seem to be a general concern of the undercarriage getting beat up but I have nothing to gage this by. Thanks for the videos.

/ mini excavator in the forest #7  
No I'm talking regular mini too, I just can't find a video of one. Regular mini ex with some backwoods cab armouring.

No I'm talking regular mini too, I just can't find a video of one. Regular mini ex with some backwoods cab armouring.

I found a video of one but my computer is not allowing me to post it here. I opened it in another window and saved it to my desk top but my Mac states it doesn't recognize a format or something of that nature. This is the site its at. Speedloading 2 - YouTube.webarchive

/ mini excavator in the forest #9  
That is something I'd like to see as well if you can remember where you saw it that is.

I can't find it for the life of me. It was a mini and trailer like the one you found above on utube. They were cutting a plantation with parrallel roads wide enough for the mini. The trees were fallen across the roads into the previously cut area and bucked up. The mini followed them up the rows picking the logs.

/ mini excavator in the forest #10  
I drove by interesting site today. A guy had a Takeuchi 165 right in the middle of the woods logging about 2 acres. I've seen plenty of excavators on landings and even some on logging trails but I never thought to use one as an extractor or forwarder attached to a trailer as I do not think they would make a good skidder. Was just wondering if anyone else uses a mini or midi excavator as such and if so, what are the pitfalls other than clearance of bringing something like this directly into the woods?
My brother-in-law and I cleared 3 acres in 3 days with my IR ZX-75 excavator and his Bobcat T-250. With the hoe, I was able to reach up high and push the trees over, root ball and all. Then grab them with the thumb and position them so he was able to come in with a grapple bucket and move them out to the open where we processed them. Worked really well.