Pushing over dying pines with FEL

/ Pushing over dying pines with FEL
Pine is a brittle wood, Snaps easily.
Even chainsaw vibration can cause branches to fall.
Dead tops are what are called 'widow makers' and you just don't want to mess with such a tree.
Leave it to a pro.

Agreed. The trees just died recently and I was dropping them before the "widow maker" stage. The limb that broke off and almost got me was the result the pine brushing a live tree on it's way down. Don't know why the video I uploaded earlier in the thread doesn't work, maybe I'll try a different format.

Felling-a-Dead-Pine-2nd-Try THIS ONE WORKS

Go to full screen to see the limb that almost got me.

Last edited:
   / Pushing over dying pines with FEL #42  
Glad you escaped. Easy to see what happened. I've seen similar things on trees I've dropped. My trees are usually packed really close together. I can't count how many I've had hang over the years. I keep getting better at it, because I have seen so many ways to get in trouble, I guess.

/ Pushing over dying pines with FEL #43  
What you experienced is called "throw back". It looks minor in that case, so you are lucky. In severe cases, the falling tree will stretch other trees back like a catapult, and then they launch branches and debris back in your direction of retreat at extrememly high speed.

The only way to avoid this is to have a clear felling path and good aim with the saw's gunsights. With practice, you can put trees exactly where you want. If there is a risk of the tree hitting another tree or limb on the way down, you should first clear a path.

A side tip is to wait a minute or so before walking into the felling path after a tree has gone down through other trees. This leaves time for any loose debris or branches to settle out or come down.

/ Pushing over dying pines with FEL #44  
I think Lil' Blue did pretty well and should be congratulated. We can't all afford to hire somebody to do every job that might conceivably involve some risk of injury or property damage. He recognized his initial ignorance and took action to educate himself before going off half-cocked.
Even the very best, most experienced, loggers have close calls, so a branch falling nearby is part of the educational experience.
As with any job, educate yourself how to do it, equip yourself to do it right, and safely, take it slow, then just do it.
My biggest issue in the woods is usually not with felling, but with limbing. It seems that I need a second saw since at least a couple of times per season I manage to bind the bar in a cut when the weight shifts.
BOB
edit: actually just a spare bar and chain would do the trick, since I can easily detach the saw from its bound bar and mount a replacement.

/ Pushing over dying pines with FEL
Thanks to everybody for who gave advice, expressed concerns, offered tips, etc.... I dropped all the trees that were a danger to my stuff and will let the rest come down naturally as a result of termites and gravity. That's what I have noticed in the past. First the limbs fall off, then termites eat the base out from under it. The only things I don't like about this option is 1) they tend to damage other trees on the way down, 2) they are a constant danger to me and the dogs when I'm walking/working out there, and 3) it can take years for them to fall. Anyway I've learned a lot, but my lumberjack days are over for a while. Next will be skidding the ones I did cut down (using the tow bar) out to my burn pile in open field.

/ Pushing over dying pines with FEL #46  
I think Lil' Blue did pretty well and should be congratulated. We can't all afford to hire somebody to do every job that might conceivably involve some risk of injury or property damage. He recognized his initial ignorance and took action to educate himself before going off half-cocked.

Couldn't agree more. Well done. :thumbsup:

/ Pushing over dying pines with FEL #47  
Thanks to all who contributed advice on this thread. I learned several useful methods and safe practices from reading it, and have saved some of the links referenced. Great thread!