Pushing over dying pines with FEL

/ Pushing over dying pines with FEL #1  

LittleBlueTractor

Gold Member
Tractor
LS S3010
I lost a lot of trees on my place during our recent drought down here in south Texas. Some of the pines are over 24" in diameter at their base and NOT in a safe place. I've seen videos of people using their loader to just push over some pretty big trees. My understanding is that one of the biggest risks is from the root ball popping up under the tractor. I'm sure there are other risks and would appreciate any comments for or against. (OR any other ideas for that matter.)

My CUT is an LS S3010. It's a little less than 30 HP, but pretty stout in low gear and fairly heavy with the grapple and cutter installed - probably around 4.5K lbs. FYI: I haven't had much experience with a chainsaw.

/ Pushing over dying pines with FEL #2  
I lost a lot of trees on my place during our recent drought down here in south Texas. Some of the pines are over 24" in diameter at their base and NOT in a safe place. I've seen videos of people using their loader to just push over some pretty big trees. My understanding is that one of the biggest risks is from the root ball popping up under the tractor. I'm sure there are other risks and would appreciate any comments for or against. (OR any other ideas for that matter.)

My CUT is an LS S3010. It's a little less than 30 HP, but pretty stout in low gear and fairly heavy with the grapple and cutter installed - probably around 4.5K lbs. FYI: I haven't had much experience with a chainsaw.

I would say for a 24 inch tree, you are WAY too small. My uncle has an 80 hp skid steer, and it might not be able to push that big of a tree over. I would say unless you want to get some big heavy equipment, get good with a chainsaw, or hire someone to do it.

/ Pushing over dying pines with FEL #3  
Could be risky,I'd drop the trees first one less headache...leave about foot or so can push or pull.

Never know what root ball has w/in,rock etc. can cost $$'s in repairs. :(

/ Pushing over dying pines with FEL #4  
I think your tractor is to small for that job. I would cut the tree down leaving a 3 or 4 foot trunk. Then start plucking around the roots with FEL and push or pull on the trunk.

If the tree has the possibility of hitting a structure I understand your concern about using a chainsaw. With a little practice you can control the direction of fall easily. Cut a < notch on the side of the where you want it to fall. Depending on tree size, notch only needs to be 2-3 inches deep. Now on the opposite side of the notch, cut straight in 1 -2 inches above the notch. The < notch acts as a hinge as you make your back cut.

Another thing you can do if you have a second person is have them push on the tree as you start making your back cut towards the notch. Having a set of forks on the FEL will help ensure the tree won't fall to the left or right.

When you start ramming and pushing trees with the FEL, its hard on the tractor and unsafe for you. Small healthy trees go over easily, but when you got to keep working on big one, tops or limbs can break off and come crashing down on you.

/ Pushing over dying pines with FEL #5  
As others have mentioned, you are way under equipped to push over 24" dia. trees. That size tree is plenty big to give even a 40,000lb track loader a workout if the conditions aren't good. Honestly your tractor is probably only capable of pushing over 8-10" trees, and even as such it takes the right method and conditions.

/ Pushing over dying pines with FEL #6  
If you don't have experience felling trees then hire that job out. A 24" tree is not something to practice on.
Russell

/ Pushing over dying pines with FEL #7  
Two of the most dangerous activities a person can do in the world are farming and forestry. A newb trying to be a lumberjack with a tractor... danger squared!

A 24" pine is heavy enough to crush you quick. A DEAD pine can have branches or even a major part of the top fall back onto you in that tractor. If you don't have a FOPS (Falling Object Protective Structure) which is a full cage able to withstand major impacts -- you are asking for bad things to happen.

I would say you may need to pay a professional to get those trees down if you are not proficient with a chainsaw.

/ Pushing over dying pines with FEL #8  
If you don't have experience felling trees then hire that job out. A 24" tree is not something to practice on.
Russell
:thumbsup: Always park your tractor at least 1.5 times the height of the tree AWAY from the tree when felling. Once a tree starts to fall you have NO control.

/ Pushing over dying pines with FEL #9  
Yes, 24 inches is pretty large. Too large to push with a 3010 IMO. I might try pulling it, but with enough chain to reach out well over the height of the tree. I would get a ladder and chain them up 15 feet above the ground. If it's tough dry ground, then I might wait for wet ground.

I have a lot of experience with a chainsaw, and I've gotten in just about every kind of trouble felling trees that I could. That doesn't usually stop me though. But I do get a pro when I am too scared to try a particular tree.

Be careful, err on the side of caution.

/ Pushing over dying pines with FEL #10  
I have pushed over quite a few "trees" with a tractor of the same capabilitys that you have. but when I say tree, I am talking about 3 or 4 inchers. maybe 25 foot high. The trees need to be in good shape not dead. Never ever push on a dead tree with your loader unless you want a limb to fall on you. I have pushed over trees up to 10 inches, but only after a rain has fell about 2 or 3 days previously. So the the ground is fairly good on top for your traction but still pretty wet at the root level of the trees. Then you must be mindful of the rootball coming up under your axle. on a 24 inch tree, you need to cut it at about 5 foot level then start digging out the roots, then hook a long chain on it and pull it over if you can. If you can't, then keep on digging. Good luck and work safe.

James K0UA